Speedometers - fitting of on Steam Locomotives in BR days

Right Away

• RMweb Gold

Does any member have knowledge of (roughly) when the Smiths speedometers began to be fitted to steam locomotives in BR days on the various regions. I appreciate that not all classes and not all members of a particular class were so fitted.

I was looking through my books and where photographs are dated, trying to get an approximate answer when I thought "ask the Web, maybe a member was involved in this "

Edited by Right Away

Does any member have knowledge of (roughly) when the Smiths speedometers began to be fitted to steam locomotives in BR days on the various regions. I appreciate that not all classes and not all members of a particular class were so fitted.

I was looking through my books and where photographs are dated, trying to get an approximate answer when I thought "ask the Web, maybe a member was involved in this "

From my experience it tends to be the late 1950s into the early 1960s that these were fitted.

I remember am early controversy around the Hornby release of 34003 Plymouth because she lacked a speedometer. Turns out the very first rebuilt light Pacific’s didn’t reserve them. Which was 1957 so must’ve been about 1958 that they started to be fitted.

Big James