K & E S R Loco HESPERUS - Kit Bash/Scratch Build

For nearly two years I have been wrestling with an old Kit Built K's 1361 tank converting it into the unique K & E S R loco Hesperus, and after a lot of problems have finally finished the model. I managed to re-use the chassis by reversing it, and fitting a Mashima motor with a Branchlines gearbox, which drives Scale Link wheels on Romford axles. Other chassis modification has been limited to correct profile frames and sanding box tubes, unfortunately my modelling skills to not extend to fitting brake gear etc.

The largest amount of work has been on the body which was already close in general dimensions to the loco being modelled, the main dimensional variation being a 2mm difference betweer tank and smokebox distances. Most of the modification was with the cab and bunker which had to be largely removed and rebuilt including a new back end and cab roof, the tank fittings were replaced with Gibson casting and a new chimney was made and added along with new buffer beams and buffers.

The original Loco was quite distinctive, being an 1876  Manning Wardle tank, which was substantially modified by the GWR in 1902. In 1912 she was sold to the K & E S R who, following derailment damage in 1918, fitted a new bunker. She remained in this form for the remainder of her working life, being cut up for scrap in 1941.  My main objective was to build something which refected the overall impression of the loco without being a 100% scale model. I am happy with the outcome but will leave it to others to judge whether I have achieved my objective.

post-28485-0-26272900-1535921322.jpg     K & E S R Loco HESPERUS

post-28485-0-07767600-1535921845.jpg    FINISHED MODEL

post-28485-0-61753200-1535921550.jpg   Original K's 1361 Model

Edited by Guest

I'd call that a definite success. Colonel Stephens seems to have been remarkably fond of that name.

Yes.I think he was, Colonel Stephens was appartently keen on naming Locomotives after Greek Gods, and had at least three Locomotives named Hesparus which I believe means Evening Star and is what the Greeks called Venus.