RMweb

Aligning track on a portable split level layout

F2Andy

I am involved in the design (so far) or a club layout, which will be 4'x16', in N gauge, with four circuits, which can be split into 2'x4' boards for transport to exhibitions.

One plan is to split them so we have a double track on one level, and a second double track perhaps 5" above (but level track all way around). However there is concern that the track will be very difficult to align when assembling at exhibitions because of the split levels. Does anyone had any relevant experience or advice?

Andy,

My 8ft 6ins x 7ft 6ins DCC layout Crewlisle is on three inter connected levels with the mid level continuous run representing the WCML with OLE.  To get all my design in such a relatively small area, all my track is curved where it passes over the baseboard joints so it would have been unwise to use the standard method of soldering track to copper clad Paxolin at the baseboard edges due to the track having to be cut at very shallow angles ‑ especially running trains at realistic speeds on the WCML!  The slightest misalignment would be disastrous.

The track & foam underlay (2mm polystyrene wall insulation) were laid over the joint, but the foam was not stuck 80mm either side of the baseboard joint.  The track was cut 80mm each side of the baseboard joint with a razor saw and the short section lifted out and reinforced with thin card on the underside & ballasted.   The rail ends of this section were carefully filed, rail connectors soldered to one end and sleeper chairs cut at the other end to allow the fitting of sliding fish plates.  This allowed accurate and reliable track alignment & electrical continuity every time by having the track continuously joined with normal rail connectors.

I have been exhibiting for over 30 years & have had no trouble with this method of connection.  I even have three points on the high level & a pair of crossover points (not cut) on the mid level WCML fitted across baseboard joints in the same way.  The baseboards themselves are aligned with cast brass hinges with their hinge pins replaced by 50mm x 1.5mm steel pins bent at one end to make them easy to remove.

'Crewlisle' is 00 gauge, so N gauge may be too small for this method but it would certainly be worth a bit of trial & error.

Peter

• Like 1

I am involved in the design (so far) or a club layout, which will be 4'x16', in N gauge, with four circuits, which can be split into 2'x4' boards for transport to exhibitions.

One plan is to split them so we have a double track on one level, and a second double track perhaps 5" above (but level track all way around). However there is concern that the track will be very difficult to align when assembling at exhibitions because of the split levels. Does anyone had any relevant experience or advice?

Hi,

I am involved with a split level exhibition layout. We use pattern makers dowels recessed into 6.5mm birch ply ends (with another 6.5mm birch ply behind). The dowels are said to have a 2 thou clearance so that should be good enough for N gauge. Might be best to put the dowels towards the corners of the boards for accuracy.

The track ends are attached to the ply ends and not the cork or horizontal baseboard. The last sleeper is replaced with copper clad epoxied to the plywood end.

post-29876-0-70718100-1536126472_thumb.jpg

Our layout (Beggarwood Lane) which isn't finished yet is in OO but I'd thought I'd show a photo of a baseboard joint (its inline with the backscene and goes to the right hand side of the photo). The mark in the foreground is just a pencilled line on cork.

Regards

Nick

Thanks for the replies.

Peter, I have seen a layout with joining sections as you describe being set up at an exhibition. That has to be worth investigating.

Nick, I am thinking of pattern-makers dowel specifically where the track is - which would just be two places per join for us. I am very impressed by how well you have hidden the join there; something to aspire to there.

I am a member of a modular group that uses Minitrix telescopic track sections to join indivual N-trak modules together. Each module has three common tracks at each end, we have been using the Minitrix track sections (with Peco code 80 track) for over 20 years.

They may be worth considering - Minitrix Variotrack 14975 - they are available from Gaugemaster.

• RMweb Gold

On my Swiss layout with track heights differing by 6 inches I used brass dowels a couple of inches below each trackbed and never had any alignment issues in ten years on the circuit. The layout lived in a shed that was unheated and survived damp when we had a flood. I had 9mm endplates with small blocks of 2x1 glued on the back to support the full length of the dowel.

Which ever system you use its about sound engineering. Ideally the baseboard ends which form the join will be drilled as a pair before the baseboards are assembled and the track either attached firmly to the frame or allowed to float across the gap on sub bases Crewlisle style.  Too often the dowels or fixings are bodged on afterwards and have to be "Adjusted" which makes them prone to moving in service..

One issue is likely to be fitting the last board in place. Unless you are very accurate and the floor is dead level it is likely that there will be some vertical and horizontal 

mis alignment.   I would be inclined to assemble all the baseboards on their legs as for an exhibition before finishing the last board, make the ends but don't attach the longitudinal members,  The alternative is to have to take a board apart and that is where inaccuracies creep in and derailments triumph.

When we built the roundy roundy shed layout we started one end buil down both sides simultaneously and used a spirit level religiously except forgot to check the levels across  left and right sides and ended up with one side of the layout about 2" higher than the other, it worked out well in the end but was a PITA at t he time

Thanks for the replies.

Peter, I have seen a layout with joining sections as you describe being set up at an exhibition. That has to be worth investigating.

Nick, I am thinking of pattern-makers dowel specifically where the track is - which would just be two places per join for us. I am very impressed by how well you have hidden the join there; something to aspire to there.

Hi,

I forgot to say the layout I showed a picture of we started about eight years ago and is kept in a club hut that goes from quite cold and damp through to hot in the summer.

If the pattern makers dowels are too far inboard the layout could have a tendency to pivot around the centre and put strain on the screws that hold the dowels in. Could epoxy around the outside of the dowels to fill in the gap in the recess (we used a Forstner cutter to make the recesses). Holes for recesses and for bolts to hold the layout and legs together were drilled on a pillar drill (the bolt holes as pairs of end boards).

Regards

Nick