RMweb

Tension Lock Coupler Height Gauge

Hi All

I have been some years since I last posted. However this summer I finally managed to get a layout built and working. It has only taken me 40 years!

I am struggling with couplers - no surprise there. In the past few weeks I have gone from tension lock to Kadee and back again. I don't want uncoupling ramps or magnets, I want to couple and uncouple where ever I want. I have read the anguish of others and just about every post on coupling and Youtube videos in excess.

This is where I am. Tension Lock couplers with the hook at one end only. This does make it easy to uncouple rather than the two. Downsides are a greater tendency to un-couple at the wrong times and a much greater need to have them level with each other. If there are two hooks then the chance of coupling is doubled. The chance of a clean decouple is halved (at least for me)

So here I am my couplers are not all the same height from the rails. I have replaced all the units with Bachmann but that does not solve the problem. I thought, well there is a Kadee height gauge so there must be a tension lock height gauge. Google was not my friend and I didn't find anything - someone will show me where they hide no doubt.

First I selected a wagon which seemed to fit the NEM standard and then I tried running other wagons up to it. Worked sort of but was hard to see how the units aligned or more likely when they didn't.

Next step was make something to attach to the end of my work track.

hg1.jpg

hg2.jpg

hg3.jpg

Sorry but the last picture is rather fuzzy.

Basically it is some plasticard scrap with a back plate and some strips added. The depth of the slot is 3mm and there is a 6mm hole through the back plate and end of the test track to accommodate the hook. The results so far as better than I had hoped I still need a way to adjust those which are too low.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

First check the couplers are tight (vertically) in the pockets, if not add a strip of thin card inside the bottom of the pocket - that will often do the trick.

If that is OK and you find couplers that are too low on Bachmann wagons of recent manufacture, there is a fairly easy fix.

Remove the coupler mount by taking out the fixing screw (the wheels have to come out first to get at it).

The coupler height can be raised by simply filing the required amount off the top of the mount then refitting it to the wagon.

John

To expand on which, the style of the mounting has varied over the years so the best means of height adjustment changes. On those where the mounting screw lies under the coupler pocket, it may be easier to remove the screw and cement the height adjusted mounting back on, to avoid the screw coming up through a wagon floor.

The same general design of gauge kit fitted with a perpendicular projecting bar that will slide into a correctly internally dimensioned pocket positioned at gauge height. (You could get really elaborate for correct pocket face position relative to fixed structure on the vehicle end, but that's easy to measure directly.)

In practise, the position of the pocket is secondary to that of the coupler head chosen to use in it, and this is especially so for 4mm UK models. The coupler pocket system was designed for HO, and I don't know how well it copes with all the vehicle variations in HO, but it certainly will not cope satisfactorily with all the variety in UK stock; exhibit 1 Lowmacs. So throw the NEM spec. out the window at need, and adapt to position the chosen coupler correctly.

My own choice with RTR 4W wagons is to chop the coupler pocket short.along with correction of any height problems, and to fit a miniature tension lock with the prongs cropped short to match, so that the bumper bar face is in the same plane as the bufferhead faces. Total bufferlocking protection, spacing of wagons correct for loose coupled stock, buffer up when propelled, pull out to about 2mm between buffers when pulled for good appearance in operation, good down to the 24" minimum radius of some yards on my layout. They are not NEM pockets any longer! I value the system though, because it lends itself so well to such adjustment.

The coupling height for a tension lock is the same as a Kadee so their gauge could be used. I use the Peco/HD type and keep one 'new' Dublo wagon as the standard. This can be used for the others. a Kadee (or X2f) shoud line up  and a tension lock hook should rest on the Dublo knuckle and in contact with the coupling bar which then lines up with the knuckle.

Vertical play in the knuckles or coupling bars should be effectively non existant.

The same general design of gauge kit fitted with a perpendicular projecting bar that will slide into a correctly internally dimensioned pocket positioned at gauge height. (You could get really elaborate for correct pocket face position relative to fixed structure on the vehicle end, but that's easy to measure directly.)

In practise, the position of the pocket is secondary to that of the coupler head chosen to use in it, and this is especially so for 4mm UK models. The coupler pocket system was designed for HO, and I don't know how well it copes with all the vehicle variations in HO, but it certainly will not cope satisfactorily with all the variety in UK stock; exhibit 1 Lowmacs. So throw the NEM spec. out the window at need, and adapt to position the chosen coupler correctly.

My own choice with RTR 4W wagons is to chop the coupler pocket short.along with correction of any height problems, and to fit a miniature tension lock with the prongs cropped short to match, so that the bumper bar face is in the same plane as the bufferhead faces. Total bufferlocking protection, spacing of wagons correct for loose coupled stock, buffer up when propelled, pull out to about 2mm between buffers when pulled for good appearance in operation, good down to the 24" minimum radius of some yards on my layout. They are not NEM pockets any longer! I value the system though, because it lends itself so well to such adjustment.

I have tension locks on the 1980s garden layout and between coaches in rakes inside on the 50s/60s layout. many of them re positioned to close the gaps between coaches but nothing like coupling loops in line with buffer heads as I need to propel round 2ft radius curves

The coupling height for a tension lock is the same as a Kadee so their gauge could be used. I use the Peco/HD type and keep one 'new' Dublo wagon as the standard. This can be used for the others. a Kadee (or X2f) shoud line up  and a tension lock hook should rest on the Dublo knuckle and in contact with the coupling bar which then lines up with the knuckle.

Vertical play in the knuckles or coupling bars should be effectively non existant.

I use H/D Peco indoors but I have a home made gauge which sits on the track with a Horizontal groove to fit (or not)  the coupling knuckle.  Its the ability to lift a single piece of stock out of a train which makes the Peco (and Kadee) a much more practical device than the Tension Lock.  If I was starting again in 00 I would seriously consider N gauge couplings or at minimum a single type and vintage of tension lock, the metal full loop Triang is about as good as they get as you can solder it to a brass strip and avoid the unsightly NEM pocket and the hideous Hornby coupler mount entirely.

My solution was to use an old Triang/Hornby 1 plank wagon. Fitted Jackson wheels (or any ones you wish).

Then fit a coupling at the correct height. I believe the top surface is 8mm above rail level.It can be confirmed by looking for NEM dimensions in Google.

Now I make sure everything matches this wagon.

Dave

• Like 2