Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Breakthrough question

I'm now creating my first OO scale layout, modeling a small village in the Cotswolds. I've been using card stock building/structure kits from Metcalfe and they are good, but fall a bit short of the level of realism I want to reflect. This morning, I was scanning Youtube and ran across exactly what I hope to achieve on a very short video from British Pathe on using human hair for thatching material. I have listed the Youtube address for the video in hopes that somebody might view it and give me some good advice about how I can create structures along the lines this modeler has. The Youtube address is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeWOzMEHCpc  I hope someone can help. The layout I am creating now is a "practice" layout. We will be moving next summer and this layout will have to be torn down and another built in our new residence. With all due respect to Metcalfe, I want to be more realistic and hope to learn something from some of you on this site that will help me with creating a more realistic end product. Thank you. DoctorP

I've just watched the video, the hair cutting scene was interesting to say the least. If this is your planned course of action I suggest you do it whilst Mrs DoctorP is asleep, and only from the back where she might not see. I would be interested to know if you survive the attempt, please have someone ready to take over your posting and let us know if you don't. Regards.

Pen don Museum was the first to use this for thatched roofing. I tried it when my wife had her long hair cut and it does work but I had trouble with insects eating it. A better alternative is to use plumbers hemp which I found easier to use and did not get the insect damage also it takes ages for hair to grow to get another cut long enough to be able to cover many roofs.

I think you should be able to get plumbers hemp in the US but it might be called a different name.

Mikeg

Pound shop paint brushes, or if you want bang for buck, a wallpaper paste brush from similar high quality establishments. It'll have the right colour, and can be stuck with pva. Failing that, a brush and pan set will give you as many straight fibres you need. 

Should you require a laugh, I recalled this video that recommended thus  - "Fur from a ginger tom is ideal for making grass, as well as thatch on models of poor peoples houses..." 

https://youtu.be/5nTtOOKan-U

RM

The scale is one centimetre to the foot or one seventy sixth of the actual size.

The metric system was a dark art in the UK at the time ( I was several years into my schooling before it was even mentioned!), but then it was a Pathé News reporter (chosen for monotonous bored/boring voice more than anything IMHO).

From what i could gather Pathé News was deliberately tedious (I've seen it described as, "What the Queen did last month!") to encourage cinema sales of ice cream.

Edited by Il Grifone