Crane rigging - steel cables

I’m part way through converting/updating an old 4mm Hornby 6.5t hand crane. I’ve removed the originally supplied chain with the aim to represent the more prototypical arrangement of the cable operated jib and lifting hook.

What do people recommend using to represent the steel cable rigging? The obvious choice would be to use Cotton/thread but to me this looks ‘fluffy’ and ‘looks like cotton’. I’m also keen to replicate the saggy ‘weighty’ appearance of the cable so any alternative needs to be flexible enough to model the relaxed sag...

I’ve seen the Mig productions ship rigging but unsure if this is flexible/pliable enough - it’s elastic therefore I’m assuming it needs to be fixed in tension?

Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks!

I’m part way through converting/updating an old 4mm Hornby 6.5t hand crane. I’ve removed the originally supplied chain with the aim to represent the more prototypical arrangement of the cable operated jib and lifting hook.

What do people recommend using to represent the steel cable rigging? The obvious choice would be to use Cotton/thread but to me this looks ‘fluffy’ and ‘looks like cotton’. I’m also keen to replicate the saggy ‘weighty’ appearance of the cable so any alternative needs to be flexible enough to model the relaxed sag...

I’ve seen the Mig productions ship rigging but unsure if this is flexible/pliable enough - it’s elastic therefore I’m assuming it needs to be fixed in tension?

Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks!

There's something called 'parachute cord' used by jewellers etc which might be of use. It's non-elastic. Lynne gets hers from Cooksons.

• RMweb Gold

Does the crane need to operate, or is it to be static?  If the latter, it might be worth using cotton thread dipped in a 50/50 PVA/water mix; this should dry without looking fluffy and remain fairly rigid in the correct position.

I've not done this, mind, it's just an idea that could be worth trying out!