Function only active when moving

Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking at a complete rewire of my new Hornby 87 and I was wondering whether I can be clever?  Discussion has suggested that the high intensity headlight only came on when the direction selector was moved from Off to Forward, are there any (non-sound) decoders out there that have an option that a function is only active if switched on and speed is above zero?

Andi

• RMweb Premium

The opposite is certainly doable - the cab lights on my SLW 24 are on when stationary, but go off as soon as it starts moving (as well as being switchable on/off when stationary via a function key). That's with a Zimo 644, iirc.

It may be possible on some decoders to use one of the motor wires as a return if you have LED lighting - you will have to experiment with what you have to see if you have decoders already that work that way and which of the motor wires can be used this way. The LEDs will require inverse protection diodes if you do this.

Hi,

I think Zimo decoders can be made to turn the light off via the Diesel Smoke Effects.

Set the appropriate Function Output CV to 82 (decimal). So for function output 1 put CV 127 to 82.

Set CV 137 to 0 (this is the value of the function output brightness at standstill).

Set CV 138 to whatever brightness level you want (1 to 255). This is the value at steady speed.

Set CV 139 to the same value as you set for 138. This is the value during acceleration.

However the light will turn off when the train comes to a halt (is that what you wanted?).

I haven't tried this for high intensity headlights but you may have to toggle the relevant function key on your DCC system from on to off to on again when a train has come to a halt and you want to move off again.

Regards

Nick

I'm looking at a complete rewire of my new Hornby 87 and I was wondering whether I can be clever?  Discussion has suggested that the high intensity headlight only came on when the direction selector was moved from Off to Forward, are there any (non-sound) decoders out there that have an option that a function is only active if switched on and speed is above zero?

Andi

Andi

Assuming a Lokpilot 4 has similar function mapping options to a Loksound 4, then it should be possible, provided the headlights are wired separately to 2 spare Aux function outputs.  It's basically the reverse of the auto cab light feature, where the cab light comes on once the loco stops, and goes off automatically once the the motor starts to turn, by inverting the movement settings (easy with a Lokprogrammer) the cab lights would then go off when stopped, and come on once moving again - obviously that would not be a sensible option for cab lights, but for your headlight application it should be workable.. ? 

HTH

Ken

Edited by tractor_37260

Andi

Assuming a Lokpilot 4 has similar function mapping options to a Loksound 4, then it should be possible, provided the headlights are wired separately to 2 spare Aux function outputs.  It's basically the reverse of the auto cab light feature, where the cab light comes on once the loco stops, and goes off automatically once the the motor starts to turn, by inverting the movement settings (easy with a Lokprogrammer) the cab lights would then go off when stopped, and come on once moving again - obviously that would not be a sensible option for cab lights, but for your headlight application it should be workable.. ? 

HTH

Ken

Hi,

I've looked through the Lokpilot V4 instructions and I cant find anything about an auto cab light feature. Does it use the Seuthe Smoke Generator settings? (like my suggestion for how the Zimo decoders might achieve the same thing as Andi asked for)?.

Regards

Nick

Hi,

I've looked through the Lokpilot V4 instructions and I cant find anything about an auto cab light feature. Does it use the Seuthe Smoke Generator settings? (like my suggestion for how the Zimo decoders might achieve the same thing as Andi asked for)?.

Regards

Nick

You won't find it described as such in the ESU documentation.   What you will find is the complex function mapping tables.  Within those, lots of "rows".  Any row can be setup to have a number of inputs (such as specific function keys operated, direction of movement, whether loco is actually moving or stationary), and those can control any number of outputs (wires typically to lights) and behaviours (things like half-speed, etc).    From there it is not too difficult to create a row which turns the cab-light on only when the loco is stationary, and work out the required CVs to achieve it.  Or, conversely for this thread, turns on a light when the loco is moving.

You won't find it described as such in the ESU documentation.   What you will find is the complex function mapping tables.  Within those, lots of "rows".  Any row can be setup to have a number of inputs (such as specific function keys operated, direction of movement, whether loco is actually moving or stationary), and those can control any number of outputs (wires typically to lights) and behaviours (things like half-speed, etc).    From there it is not too difficult to create a row which turns the cab-light on only when the loco is stationary, and work out the required CVs to achieve it.  Or, conversely for this thread, turns on a light when the loco is moving.

Hi Nigel,

Many thanks, I've just found what to do by looking at the Function Map table and CV values in JMRI  Decoder Pro.

I can see Zimo adding this functionality to their decoders as I think the method I suggested might only work for one function output (at least independently) and is not direction controlled.

I came across it as I wanted to add an on train sparks effect that was related to the current drawn by the real train - so the three PWM settings for standing, cruising and accelerating were ideal as an input to a sparks effect circuit.

On the prototype side of things would a high intensity headlight be turned off every time a loco stopped (at signals, at an intermediate station)?.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Gold

On the prototype side of things would a high intensity headlight be turned off every time a loco stopped (at signals, at an intermediate station)?.

If it is directly connected to the direction selector then yes, the driver will put it into neutral the moment he stops every single time to give his feet a rest from the deadmans pedal

Andi

Hi Nigel,

Many thanks, I've just found what to do by looking at the Function Map table and CV values in JMRI  Decoder Pro.

I can see Zimo adding this functionality to their decoders as I think the method I suggested might only work for one function output (at least independently) and is not direction controlled.

Regards

Nick

This feature is already present on some Zimo sound decoders, and it can be set to work directionally, as well as also being controlled on/off with an F Key. AFAIK what you can't have using a Zimo, is both Auto fade and Auto switch on/off of a function output - it's one or the other.   You can however have your "cake and eat it" using a Loksound 4.......

Edited by tractor_37260

That solves how to link the headlight to the theoretical position of the reverser, but what about when the loco goes through neutral sections? Reed switch and trackside magnets (which isn't too disconnected from what happens in reality....).

• Like 1

That solves how to link the headlight to the theoretical position of the reverser, but what about when the loco goes through neutral sections? Reed switch and trackside magnets (which isn't too disconnected from what happens in reality....).

If one really want's to do it, several decoders from ESU and Zimo have provision for switch input on the loco, designed to work with reed switches on the loco, triggered from magnets, or IR sensors triggered by trackside IR LEDs.   Those feed into the function mapping. 

-  Nigel

Hi,

Are not most auxiliary functions on an electric loco including high intensity headlight battery powered?.

Regards

Nick

Hi,

Are not most auxiliary functions on an electric loco including high intensity headlight battery powered?.

Regards

Nick

Yes, but the original headlight only came on with the Reverser in the Forward position, and the Driver of an AC would Run down then coast through a neutral section.

Yes, but the original headlight only came on with the Reverser in the Forward position, and the Driver of an AC would Run down then coast through a neutral section.

Hi,

Fair enough. I can't see from the ESU Lokpilot V4 manual how a sensor could be used to turn a function on and off.

Another solution if the DCC command station had a computer interface might be to use a computer and JMRI to turn a function off and on at neutral sections. Would need to have position sensors at start and end of neutral sections and have some form of train tracking. However that brings in a computer and sensors on layout just to switch a headlight.

For those happy with designing their own electronics they could design a circuit that switches off the high intensity headlight when a hall effect sensor is triggered and switches it back on when two hall effect sensors are triggered.

Would have to position small powerful magnets just under the ballast to trigger the sensors. If the circuit (small microcontroller) stored its guess at whether it was in a neutral section inside its own non-volatile memory that might cope with the situation where a train is accidently stopped in a neutral section - say at the end of a running session.

Regards

Nick