Woss closure. Accident report sought

dibber25

I felt certain I'd seen an entry on RMweb regarding the closure of the Englewood Division logging railway on Vancouver Island but I can't now find anything. The ex-Canadian Forest Products railway on the north end of Vancouver Island was popularly known as the Last logging railway in North America. It ceased operations following a tragic runaway in 2017 and was formally closed in November of that year without ever re-opening. It seems that the accident was investigated by BC Worksafe rather than Canada's Transportation Safety Board. TSB accident reports are all accessible on line but it seems those of BC Worksafe are not made public (presumably because BCW has the power to bring prosecutions, while the TSB does not). I just wondered if anyone has, or has seen, a copy of the investigation report? 

In the meantime here's a farewell picture of one of the most impressive and charismatic railways in Canada. Very sad that it ended in tragedy for families and staff of those killed, and in redundancy for others. (CJL)

post-1062-0-22383300-1536848438_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

It is a TSB investigation.  I'm not sure that the report has been finalized.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/tsb-investigating-train-derailment-that-killed-three-near-woss-1.16548605

said that TSB would investigate.

If WorkSafe wanted to lay charges, they have to conduct a seperate, independent investigation.  Given the great lack of faith in WorkSafe here right now, (they botched the last 2 major cases...), I'm not shocked it went over to TSB to investigate.  This does not stop charges being laid, as per the ORNGE helo crash in Moosenee.

James

It is a TSB investigation.  I'm not sure that the report has been finalized.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/tsb-investigating-train-derailment-that-killed-three-near-woss-1.16548605

said that TSB would investigate.

If WorkSafe wanted to lay charges, they have to conduct a seperate, independent investigation.  Given the great lack of faith in WorkSafe here right now, (they botched the last 2 major cases...), I'm not shocked it went over to TSB to investigate.  This does not stop charges being laid, as per the ORNGE helo crash in Moosenee.

James

It was my understanding that, subsequent to that Times-Colonist report, the TSB conducted some investigation on behalf of Worksafe BC, but that was all. TSB reports covering that time period are available on line but there is no report on the Woss incident that I could find. I realise that a TSB investigation does not stop charges being laid, however, the TSB itself does not, indeed cannot, lay charges. (CJL)

• 1 month later...