Losing memory?

sulzer27jd

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have a Bachmann DCC Ready class 37 that seems to - every so often - completely lose its memory. I have it set up and running as #94 and have adjusted CV2,3,4,5 and 29 to suit. It runs very well, then the next time it gets taken out of the stock box to use it just sits. Runs fine on DC but nothing on DCC. It needs to go on the program track and start again. Its now done this a few times.

Any advice?

J

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have a Bachmann DCC Ready class 37 that seems to - every so often - completely lose its memory. I have it set up and running as #94 and have adjusted CV2,3,4,5 and 29 to suit. It runs very well, then the next time it gets taken out of the stock box to use it just sits. Runs fine on DC but nothing on DCC. It needs to go on the program track and start again. Its now done this a few times.

Any advice?

J

A lot of early decoders used to do this. Couple of tips. One is to dispatch the loco when you have finished with it. Your command station may be zeroing its stack every time you switch off. It means you have to select it again when you switch on.

The other tip is to disable DC running completely. Some decoders seem sensitive to this sort of problem. As I say, the early ones ( I assume this is a Bachmann one which means early ESU) seem to be worse and the above tips are from memory as being the solution.

Although you haven't mentioned it, I also assume that you are using other than Hornby Select as well. There has been some discussion on here about Hornby Select and Bachmann decoders.

A lot of early decoders used to do this. Couple of tips. One is to dispatch the loco when you have finished with it. Your command station may be zeroing its stack every time you switch off. It means you have to select it again when you switch on.

The other tip is to disable DC running completely. Some decoders seem sensitive to this sort of problem. As I say, the early ones ( I assume this is a Bachmann one which means early ESU) seem to be worse and the above tips are from memory as being the solution.

Although you haven't mentioned it, I also assume that you are using other than Hornby Select as well. There has been some discussion on here about Hornby Select and Bachmann decoders.

Thanks for that, I should have said DCC Fitted. This was the Bachmann chip so I suspect you are right in it being the ESU. I run with a Digitrax system. How would I go about disabling the DC running completley?

John

If Digitrax gives you access to read/write CVs, then subtract 4 from CV29 to disable DC.

Both the DCS50 and the DCS100 both do that (Zephyr and Chief) Only the DB150 (Empire Builder) doesn't read but can write.

If you are using two of these, make sure that one is slave and that both run from separate transformers.

Not the only piece of kit to loose memory. EEPROM is a bit sensitive to this sort of trickery, the other possiblity is high or low voltage on the track. Most likely high rather than low...low tends to mean it doesn't go.

The other thing is how long between uses. 2 days/2 weeks/ 2 months/ 2 years? I know how frustrating it can be, as Digitrax DS 54's seem to loose their address after around a month of no power. And no, my employer won't pay for me to return home to play trains...

(I'm in the military...)

James Powell

The other thing is how long between uses. 2 days/2 weeks/ 2 months/ 2 years? I know how frustrating it can be, as Digitrax DS 54's seem to loose their address after around a month of no power. And no, my employer won't pay for me to return home to play trains...

(I'm in the military...)

James Powell

The first time it happened it had been in the stock box for a few months (it was the wrong period for running) but the last time was only a couple of days.

I must say that its a bit selfish of your employer!

John

The 2nd time sounds more like some sort of issue with the chip than the EEPROM loosing its status. Normally, there are 2 sections of the memory in chips like we are using, some which is EPROM and some which is EEPROM. (difference being the EPROM is write ONCE, EEPROM is Electronic Erasable, so can be written many times). It's worth following the suggestions of changing the modes from allowing DC to not allowing it if you don't plan on running on DC ever, otherwise it may result in strange behaviors.

James

Archived