Dcc Fitting Help

d600

The principles are exactly the same, so the experience on OO is entirely relevant.

Keep in mind the one big difference, all metal model construction as compared to OO RTR. This increases vulnerability to momentary short circuits which DCC does not tolerate. I would suggest running each loco in the dark on DC around whatever is the most severe curvature you intend using and watching for sparks that indicate a short circuit. If present these really need to be eliminated ahead of decoder fitting. Particularly fruiful sources of short circuits: pick up wipers; brake gear, sandpipes qand other detail tackle around the hweelsets, rods and valve gear, flanges inside close fitting splashers or contacting the underside of footplating or bodywork.

I have been using DCC in O gauge for many years and have not had any trouble but it is prudent to use good quality decoders, I have used mainly TCS t1’s for non sound and Zimo for sound mainly OO as most of my locomotives have low current motors and efficient gearboxes only my large Heljan diesels have 3amp + decoders fitted although I have found that some draw less than 1amp but you need to check with a meter suitable for DCC.

Regards mike