The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Denis Norden passes

DavidB-AU

Yes, always looked forward to the new Alright on the Night each year, often premièred around Christmas. The Griff Rhys Jones presented programmes were a pale imitation unfortunately.

He also did a similar show, Denis Nordens Laughter File. I think the distinction was that "Alright on the Night" was outtakes from recorded shows, where you could always cut and try again, whereas "Laughter File" was for things going wrong on live shows, where the 'cut' option was not available.

[Yes, he did so much more than those two shows, but that is what I remember him for.]

Sad news, but seems like he lived to a good age and was working until relatively recently. RIP.

• Like 1

Yes, always looked forward to the new Alright on the Night each year, often premièred around Christmas. The Griff Rhys Jones presented programmes were a pale imitation unfortunately.

He also did a similar show, Denis Nordens Laughter File. I think the distinction was that "Alright on the Night" was outtakes from recorded shows, where you could always cut and try again, whereas "Laughter File" was for things going wrong on live shows, where the 'cut' option was not available.

[Yes, he did so much more than those two shows, but that is what I remember him for.]

Sad news, but seems like he lived to a good age and was working until relatively recently. RIP.

I think Laughter File was for deliberate set-ups (cast clowning around, pranking each other etc) whereas Alright was accidental slip-ups.

• RMweb Gold

I think it is a pity that the TV News has centred around his hosting of "It'll be alright on the night". Sure, his presentation style was perfect for that show but he is surely more important for his contribution in writing comedy (often with the equally brilliant Frank Muir).

Can we avoid euphemisms in thread titles please. Sad news about Dennis Nordern, but as a man who saw the inside of Bergen Belsen in 1945, he preferred direct speaking. He certainly would have denied passing anything. (And he was a close friend of my grandfather.)