Branch Lines of Devon by Colin Maggs

valleymodeller

I understand there are two book in this series of titles. I am trying to find out if they are pictorial books, and if so do they feature colour photos? If anyone can help that would be great.

I am still missing the Ian Allan shop in Cardiff which closed about 3 years ago, so miss the opportunity to scan books before purchase.

Tony

Black and white only, of variable quality. The text provides only a very brief overview of the lines covered, which may be fine if that is all you are after. If I was faced with reducing shelf space in my collection they would be amongst the easiest to let go.

I have the Exeter South, Central and East Devon book, 1998 edition.

As an example of the content there is a chapter on the Exeter to Exmouth branch, which runs to 12 pages.

There are about 3 and a half pages of text, including some financial figures. This covers planning the line, a description of the line and the locos and stock that worked over it.

There is a map of the line which occupies three quarters of another page.

There are 16 black and white photos (half page size or less), a couple of them from the C19th, then through the years to 1989. 

It is an interesting book, and I quite like the last chapter about the industrial branches, which covers lines not often photographed.

As Pteremy suggests if you want to learn in detail about a particular line you would probably want a more specific book,

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider