Mystery O gauge bolster wagons

I bought from a certain internet auction site a pair of O gauge single bolsters in need of a little tlc. The restoration has started but I wonder can anyone out there identify the manufacturer (they are white metal) and also what companies wagons the pair are meant to be, this latter point is not essential as they are for a light railway project.

43248236590_9e8314227a_z.jpgPA020423 by Turin60, on Flickr

The item in question.

John.

Hi John

The tell tail parts to look for are the shape of the buffer guides and axle boxes. I can say what it's not from the photo but I couldn't conferm what it's is. If you know what I mean. It's not Furness, LNWR, NER, GNoSR, Highland, Midland, GNR, GCR, GWR, LSWR, SECR, LBSCR, GER, NSR, Cambrian, H&BR, S&DJR or M&GNJR. However it could be NBR, G&SWR, Caladonion, LYR or one of the smaller Welsh companies.

If you could post a photo of the buffers and the axle boxes I could probably give you a definite answer.

Marc

Were not K's proposing cast whitemetal O gauge kits (about the time I was exiting the hobby) in the mid seventies? Must weigh a ton...

They are pretty typical of late 1800's wood frame grease axlebox vehicles so it is quite possible they are generic. But if there was a prototype in mind, the five bolts on the corner plate may be an additional clue to origin.

Are there buffers both ends?

If not, but instead a central shaped dumb buffer and link (always run as a fixed pair) then GCR. 

If there are buffers both ends, my guess would be L&Y as they used a plain tapered housing in this style for wagon buffers.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

• RMweb Premium

If it's white metal, chances are the kit originated with ABS Models. Due to long standing health issues, Adrian Swain has made some stock available through M & M Models and you can download a copy of the catalogue to see if there is anything in the range that might match to model you have.

See here http://www.modelrailwaywagons.co.uk/

• 3 weeks later...