Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

How much axle side play for an o gauge 0-6-0?

DaleT

Hi

I have got the basic chassis built and the coupling rods on my 0-6-0.  It's rolling nicely but fitted with the washers that come with the kit there isn't much side play across the axles.  About 1mm each side...

The instructions say 'use washers as required' which made me think, just what is required?

I am by no means clever in this department but does it have to do with what curves the loco will be running around?

I'll probably never have the space for curves in O gauge so I'm not too worried, but is about 1mm each side ok for standard peco points etc?  should I allow a little more over the middle axle?

sorry if this has been discussed already, I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

thanks

Dale

On an 0-6-0 I would leave minimal play on front an rear, 0.005" is ample. And 0.020" on the middle. Will be enough for most situations.

But it's more to do with gauge, oo gauge and wheel profile is very sloppy so does not need much.

• RMweb Premium

It depends partly on the total wheelbase and the sharpest curve it will need to go round. Too much side play on the outer axles and the power pickups are more likely to lose contact. Too much side play on the Centre axle and the gear mesh is likely to wear. Try 1mm play each way on the Centre and 1.5mm on the outer ones, see how you get on.

I'm refitting the axles on my P class and dealing with this very issue.

Dava

It depends partly on the total wheelbase and the sharpest curve it will need to go round. Too much side play on the outer axles and the power pickups are more likely to lose contact. Too much side play on the Centre axle and the gear mesh is likely to wear. Try 1mm play each way on the Centre and 1.5mm on the outer ones, see how you get on.

I'm refitting the axles on my P class and dealing with this very issue.

Dava

That's far too much. RTR OO has a lot to answer for they make things far too loose.

There should be no movement between the motor and gear any movement will result in wear. Their relationship should be fixed.

A P class in OO should need no side play the wheelbase is so short and track to wheels is so sloppy.

Edited by N15class

Ok thanks guys.. I intend to use a motor with a gearbox on a fixed rear driven axle. So I hope this will work ok with minimal (0.005") movements.. just to clarify its a 7mm kit.

Thanks again

Dale

Edited by DaleT

Dale, are you using flexi track for your curves? Flexitrack, if curved to a tight radius, (Less than 6ft) the gauge between the rails has a tendency to reduce. On straight track there is normally plenty of 'slop' between the rail gauge and wheels but that can quickly disappear on tight curves. I recommend that you build a 'test plank' with a length of track curved to the tightest radius on your layout. That will give you a good indication of how much side play you need. A long wheel base 0-6-0 can need a surprisingly amount of side play to get round.

Good luck

Sandy

Morning Sandy

To be honest I haven't thought about a layout much. But it is my intention to by a point and a few more lengths of flexi track to test it out properly. If the wooden dining room floor is still level enough I think I can fit nearly a 5ft curve down to mess about on :)

Dale