Connector help

redpiperbob

Hi All

I am looking for the connectors in the following photo can anyone help please.

not the 21 pin one but the small ones.

Thanks

Bob

Hi,

Which half of the connector do you want - the free  plug or the fixed socket?.

Which loco is that - is it a Heljan and what class? - I may have the same so I can have a good look at mine.

Any chance of a less shaky photo?.

Regards

Nick

I believe they are JST (Japanese Solderless Terminals) connectors) Google that (and maybe refine to 2-pin) and pick the images tab.

Else search JST wire to board connectors on Farnell or RS, etc.

Woe is the demise of Maplins, where you could take the thing with you and the guys would look for a matching part.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

Hi 1nik

its a limited edition class 16

here's a new pic I need a 2 pin plug (the loose one) its cn6 in the pic.

Hi,

That's handy that's the loco I've got - and its body is off at the moment.

I will measure up the connector and check with RS, Farnell etc as RAFHAAA96 mentioned.

Regards

Nick

Hi All

I am looking for the connectors in the following photo can anyone help please.

not the 21 pin one but the small ones.

Thanks

Bob

Assuming it the same plug Heljan use in their other locos ? - it's a 2.54mm JST 2 pin plug you'll require.........Howes Models do spare leads with these plugs/bulbs etc

HTH

Hi,

That's handy that's the loco I've got - and its body is off at the moment.

I will measure up the connector and check with RS, Farnell etc as RAFHAAA96 mentioned.

Regards

Nick

Hi,

Its a very small pitched connector - seems to be around 0.8mm pitch. 

I will try and track it down.

Regards

Nick

Hi,

It looks as though the 2 pin free connector might be a JST 02SUR-32S, a 0.8mm pitch IDC connector. Digikey.co.uk have them along with the same connector with leads - but possibly not one red lead and one black. The delivery charge from Digikey seems to be £12 (+VAT?) for orders under £33. 

Maybe they are used by Radio Control drone folks to reduce weight and size - could you try online RC shops?.

Regards

Nick

Hi All

They are smaller than the jst's I have.

Bob

Having another look, It would appear there are 2 different sized connectors used on that circuit board, (2 pin & 3 pin ?) the 2 pin one fitted to the motor wires is the same as the extra one you need, which is a 2.54mm JST plug as used on other Heljan models. 

Having another look, It would appear there are 2 different sized connectors used on that circuit board, (2 pin & 3 pin ?) the 2 pin one fitted to the motor wires is the same as the extra one you need, which is a 2.54mm JST plug as used on other Heljan models. 

Hi,

Just for clarification when you say 2.54mm JST Plug what is the 2.54mm referring to?. The pin spacing on the class 16 which is a narrow bodied loco is about 0.8mm and appears to be the same on the OO Class 128 - another of the more modern chassis with 21 pin decoder socket.

Regards

Nick

Hi,

Just for clarification when you say 2.54mm JST Plug what is the 2.54mm referring to?. The pin spacing on the class 16 which is a narrow bodied loco is about 0.8mm and appears to be the same on the OO Class 128 - another of the more modern chassis with 21 pin decoder socket.

Regards

Nick

2.54mm is the space between the contact centers/pin sockets on the JST plug not the size of the plug itself which is around 5mm wide.Heljan used this size on 26/27/47 and possibly other classes. Whether 8pin or 21 pin is not relevant in this instance.

HTH

Ken

2.54mm is the space between the contact centers/pin sockets on the JST plug not the size of the plug itself which is around 5mm wide.Heljan used this size on 26/27/47 and possibly other classes. Whether 8pin or 21 pin is not relevant in this instance.

HTH

Ken

Hi, 

Many thanks. So its not the connector the OP and I have on our class 16s which have ~ 0.8mm spacing.

Regards

Nick

Hi, 

Many thanks. So its not the connector the OP and I have on our class 16s which have ~ 0.8mm spacing.

Regards

Nick

AFAIK the smallest JST version has 1mm (0.8mm?)contact centres and they are really tiny, EM2 speakers require 1.5mm JST plugs and they are much smaller than any Heljan ones I've seen.

AFAIK the smallest JST version has 1mm (0.8mm?)contact centres and they are really tiny, EM2 speakers require 1.5mm JST plugs and they are much smaller than any Heljan ones I've seen.

Hi,

I've measured the 1st pin to 3rd pin on the 3 way connectors on my Heljan Class 16 and its around 1.6mm. Heljan seem to have gone really small on their connectors to accommodate the 21 pin DCC decoder on the OO class 16 and CL128 DPU.

The Wikipedia entry is out of date and JST claimed the JST SUR range as the smallest IDC connector in the world.

Regards

Nick

Edited by NIK

Hi,

I've measured the 1st pin to 3rd pin on the 3 way connectors on my Heljan Class 16 and its around 1.6mm. Heljan seem to have gone really small on their connectors to accommodate the 21 pin DCC decoder on the OO class 16 and CL128 DPU.

The Wikipedia entry is out of date and JST claimed the JST SUR range as the smallest IDC connector in the world.

Regards

Nick

I looked out my own 128 today, and yes, your are correct, the connector/plugs are indeed  "tiny" and definitely a lot smaller than the ones used on most of their other locos, possibly 1mm JST's for the 2pin ones? 

Hi,

Regards

Nick

Hello,

Where did you see this?

trustytrev.

Hello,

Where did you see this?

trustytrev.

Hi,

EDIT: I can't find the reference now - I've found a link to the first 0.8mm pitch IDC http://www.jst.fr/en/product/sur_203 

however JST now do 0.6mm pitch but with 0.2A limit. Our clubs DCC layout has had problems with  very fine loco wiring on some Hornby locos burning out when a partial short circuit occurs on the track of one bogie and lots of current flows from the pickups on the other bogie. END EDIT.

Regards

Nick

Edited by NIK

Hi Nick I found that source myself.

But  they only supply companies. I found another source but there cost of postage and packing ment I could buy another loco cheaper.

Anyway Heljan have come up tumps they are sending me 2 plugs for £5.

thanks for all your help

Bob