AC to DC converter module

MattB

Hi

Does anyone know where I could get an ac to dc converter module from for converting AC16v to DC 12v

For lights I’m using a gauge master controller assesories output which is 16ac great for points but not for lights

I’ve looked around on eBay but was wondering if a British model railway company produces them?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt,

Just type in "16vac to 12vdc" into the web and out pops all sorts including this thread from RMweb!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/31067-16vac-to-12vdc/

BUT - I do recommend that you get one of these first (dirt cheap) and then mess about trying to do it cheaper/quicker and whilst you are still procrastinating they will have arrived!

Estimated two weeks for delivery.

Here's two that came out first after a quick search on Ebay:-

post-12815-0-58010900-1539419736_thumb.png

post-12815-0-36522200-1539419756_thumb.png

These have the great advantage that the output is adjustable so you can change the brightness (for different times of the day, photography, etc...). Just make sure you set the output voltage BEFORE connecting it all up!

What sort of lights/how many are requiring the new PSU?

(These two examples may not be suitable.)

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

I always make my own rectifier, quite simple, using four diodes of the same type wired as in the diagram.

post-16423-0-05777200-1539424186.png

I have made these for use with LED lighting and signalling with no adverse effects, connected to a Gaugemaster controller.

I am sure there will be someone on here who could even advise which is the most suitable diode to use. Mine came out of the old Hornby HST and dummy power cars.

I always make my own rectifier, quite simple, using four diodes of the same type wired as in the diagram.

attachicon.gifDiode rectifier.png

I have made these for use with LED lighting and signalling with no adverse effects, connected to a Gaugemaster controller.

I am sure there will be someone on here who could even advise which is the most suitable diode to use. Mine came out of the old Hornby HST and dummy power cars.

Four 1N4002 diodes rated at 1A will do the job or use 1N5401 diodes rated at 3A. I suspect the Gaugemaster output is rated at 1A.

• 2 weeks later...