Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

WD 2-8-0 clack valves

I want to convert the standard top feed arrangement on my built DJH WD 2-8-0 to what I call the "Scottish" version, where there are two clacks either side atop the boiler. I have many photographs of WD 2-8-0s and some showing the "Scottish" arrangement but none good enough or close enough to show exactly what is involved. I have the Markits bits but not clear how they should be assembled and fitted. Has anyone done this conversion and does anyone have a close-up pic or a drawing that could help me?

Many thanks

Mike

Tim Shackleton did an article that included that modification and a couple of others in MRJ 118 & 119. I think he used the Alan Gibson clacks but that shouldn’t make any great difference.

HTH

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Premium

The Scottish clack valves were the same as the BR standard ones. So, Gibson, as advised, or off a scrap Bachmann standard body. 

I think it will be self-explanatory what needs to be done to fit them once you see them, but if not post a reply and I'll see if I can dig mine out of its box and take a photo. 

I seem to remember I redid the mudholes/washout plugs too - can't remember why - and used these parts: http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/images/Finney%20castings/E29.jpg

Thanks Daddyman, I'll take a look at the clacks I've got alongside the Standard 5 ones (I have 2 DJH and 1 Bachmann - why? ... don't ask!) and see how they marry up. If still unclear, I'll send for the Gibson ones.