Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling what you're not interested in

Reorte

• RMweb Premium

I'm not terribly keen on the modern railway (let's not go into the whys and wherefores, I'm hoping for a more lighthearted thread than that), but this morning as I had to change trains at Hazel Grove there was the following sequence:

Northern 150 from Buxton stops, I hop out because it doesn't stop at Davenport (presumably down to fitting paths in). 150 departs towards Stockport.

Northern  319 enters the same platform from a siding (it'll head off towards Stockport, stopping where the 150 doesn't).

Whilst the 319 is there an East MIdlands 158 arrives from Sheffield, on the opposite platform, usually used for trains in the other direction. Both platforms are bi-directional.

319 departs towards Stockport. Presumably the 158 does slightly later, using the crossover. And not long after that I think another 150 turns up heading towards Buxton.

There are also passing TransPennine 185s and the occasional freight (usually after dark though AFAIK).

That all sounds like quite a mix for a minor station on a secondary line, diesel and electric, not that the wires get used much.And whilst to scale it would make a large model it could all be compressed down quite nicely, and the above sequence gives a bit of operating interest even though most of the day it's far more straightforward. No 319 models it seems  (but what was used before they turned up, they can't have been here long?) or others in the right livery but AFAIK they're supposed to be coming.

Anyone else ended up with the same sort of pondering about how they'd model something they'd normally not be interested in?

• Like 1

I certainly see things going on that normally I wouldn't care for - watching the comings and goings at North Weald on the Epping Ongar Railway was fascinating and would probably be fun to model, and I wouldn't normally have much interest in models of preserved railways. (They run it as two semi-separate routes, because there's no run round at Epping).

I think the 319 would have previously been a 323.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the 319 would have previously been a 323.

No models of them either (or the passing 185s), so modelling that lot doesn't look all that viable even with a little time shift. I suppose modelling electrics doesn't seem all that popular even with people modelling the current scene. I suppose it's the added complexity, especially with overhead.