How to open rtr coaches

petertg

• RMweb Premium

The coaches I have of either make need the whole coach body removing to gain access to the interior. I have one Bachmann where the roof is removable (from inside the body) but there is a false roof inside.

Edit to add. Often removal of bogies to reveal fixing screws then ease the body away from the chassis. Cocktail sticks or similar will keep released clips from re-engaging.

Edited by dhjgreen

I have found that the roofs of my Dapol coaches are only a press fit on the body and can be easily removed. The body is also a press fit on the chassis but a bit more difficult to release the clips.

However I also havs a Hornby ex-GWR Autocoach. I removed one of the bogies but there was no screw underneath fixing the body and I have looked at the other thread and it doesn't seem to help me.

Finally, I have a question I do not know where to place, namely, what type of coach would be appropriate to install between the autocoach and the locomotive. I have been using a Gresley brake composite, but this belongs to another rake.

• RMweb Premium

I have found that the roofs of my Dapol coaches are only a press fit on the body and can be easily removed. The body is also a press fit on the chassis but a bit more difficult to release the clips.

However I also havs a Hornby ex-GWR Autocoach. I removed one of the bogies but there was no screw underneath fixing the body and I have looked at the other thread and it doesn't seem to help me.

Finally, I have a question I do not know where to place, namely, what type of coach would be appropriate to install between the autocoach and the locomotive. I have been using a Gresley brake composite, but this belongs to another rake.

I have just had the roof of my Hornby autocoach. Fingernail or similar between roof and body, twist, lift off roof. It only goes back one way round. Really easy to remove do it over a bench, mine went on the floor, no damage.

... what type of coach would be appropriate to install between the autocoach and the locomotive. I have been using a Gresley brake composite, but this belongs to another rake.

In operation as an autocoach, nothing, or another autocoach. The mechanical control linkage has to connect to a locomotive equipped with the control gear either directly or via another vehicle equipped with the linkage to make an autotrain. Two vehicles was the limit, after that the linkage was too heavy for the driver to move.

At need these vehicles were operated without the control linkage connected, so just as a regular coach. It is possible that it might then find itself coupled to a 'foreign' brake composite, a vehicle detached from an intercompany or interregional train, completing its journey to a resort. Whether such a thing happened and where, some expert would have to supply the answer.

Thanks for all the comments. I was confused about my autocoach, it is not Hornby, but Bachmann and I have found the sheet with instructions on how to open the body.. However I still have to find a way to open my Hornby Gresley coaches.

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned above, this thread posts #6 and #11

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/136836-stripping-down-a-Hornby-bso/

Prise the bogies off by inserting a screwdriver between top of bogie and the body. You should see 4 clear plastic clips which hold the glazing. Carefully ease these off (they can snap quite easily).  Then carefully insert finger/thin card between coach body and underframe.It can be done!

post-11293-0-28226800-1540628175.jpg

• Like 1