Thorncombe Modelex 2018

devonseasider

I want to say a big "thank you" to everyone who contributed to another successful show, despite the intermittent torrential downpours.

Exhibitors, traders, "staff" & helpers and, of course, the visiting public - everyone played their part in making it an enjoyable day.

Penhaven Quay - the Cornish fishing village scene from Buffers Bogies - took the Best in Show award as voted by our visitors.

The Chairman's Award went to Kevin & Judith Cartwright for Brixham Bay.

Congratulations all round, and to the runners up.

There seemed to be more families & youngsters around this year - the Shunting Puzzle layout was busy all day.

Could that be down to the TV programme?  I see that other exhibitions have commented along similar lines.

Thanks again, and put November 9th in your diary for next year.

• Like 1

Initially I wasn't going to attend this year but the late inclusion of Seven Ash and Orchard Road made me change my mind.  However I did question my sanity as I drove through a huge downpour west of Beaminster at around 10.15.

Couldn't find any bargains on a first look around so I took a break for a bacon roll, recommended, and cup of tea.

I then saw a chap I recognised from a local club who seemed to be single-manning his layout.  "Would you like a go?" he said and I was then handed the controller and off he vanished.  Just as well I know about DCC otherwise nothing would have run.  So I spent most of the rest of the show having a play and got a free lunch, yes there is such a thing.  My help was greatly appreciated.

I did see forum member mudmagnet but couldn't identify devonseasider.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my day but I would like to make a plea to the exhibition manager for the future.  Any chance of the odd 21st century layout to balance out the old with the new / newer?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We had a very good day at Thorncombe, thanks very much to Devonseasider and all his team for putting such a good show together.

Couple of photos of the Exeter Gauge 0 Group stand:

post-5825-0-16001600-1542117360_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-20022200-1542117370_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

I did question my sanity as I drove through a huge downpour west of Beaminster at around 10.15.

You should have been there Friday afternoon.  Now, that really was wild - Saturday was a pleasant summer's day by comparison!

a bacon roll, recommended, and cup of tea.

Thanks - I'll pass that on to the ladies.

I then saw a chap I recognised from a local club who seemed to be single-manning his layout.

Was that Horsebridge Yard?  I noticed a different operator part-way through the day.  Free lunch - see, we really do try to look after people!

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my day but I would like to make a plea to the exhibition manager for the future.  Any chance of the odd 21st century layout to balance out the old with the new / newer?

To coin a phrase, "You should have been there last year, or the one before that.  We had lots of them then.".

Seriously, though, it isn't always easy to get a full balance, especially for a smaller show.  As it was, we covered the railway scene from the 1840s to 2006, albeit the latter a Swiss prototype rather than UK.  That, of course, was also our only overseas layout - some people would have found that disappointing, others would say it was one too many.  Coincidentally, someone said it was almost a case of "hunt the 00 layout", and how refreshing he found that when compared to the norm.

The bottom line, of course, is that any exhibition manager/co-ordinator can only bring in layouts that are available on that particular day and are able & willing to get to that particular venue.  Some years that results in a wider choice than others.  Additionally, I will only bring in layouts I have actually seen operating somewhere "on the circuit" or from builders who I know will produce a good standard of modelling and are able to present it (and themselves) to the paying public.  It gets complicated even more when a layout is withdrawn without prior warning and at very short notice, as happened this year, with little apparent regard for the exhibition team who have to pull out all the stops to try to source replacement(s) at even shorter notice.  Fortunately there are a good number of nice people around who will help out if they can, again as happened this year.

Anyway, sorry to drone on and really pleased that you "thoroughly enjoyed the day".  Nothing worse than travelling through a monsoon & finding nothing worth seeing when you get there!

Hopefully before too long we can say "hello" face to face  .  .  .  .

• RMweb Gold

You should have been there Friday afternoon.  Now, that really was wild - Saturday was a pleasant summer's day by comparison!

Thanks - I'll pass that on to the ladies.

Was that Horsebridge Yard?  I noticed a different operator part-way through the day.  Free lunch - see, we really do try to look after people!

To coin a phrase, "You should have been there last year, or the one before that.  We had lots of them then.".

Seriously, though, it isn't always easy to get a full balance, especially for a smaller show.  As it was, we covered the railway scene from the 1840s to 2006, albeit the latter a Swiss prototype rather than UK.  That, of course, was also our only overseas layout - some people would have found that disappointing, others would say it was one too many.  Coincidentally, someone said it was almost a case of "hunt the 00 layout", and how refreshing he found that when compared to the norm.

The bottom line, of course, is that any exhibition manager/co-ordinator can only bring in layouts that are available on that particular day and are able & willing to get to that particular venue.  Some years that results in a wider choice than others.  Additionally, I will only bring in layouts I have actually seen operating somewhere "on the circuit" or from builders who I know will produce a good standard of modelling and are able to present it (and themselves) to the paying public.  It gets complicated even more when a layout is withdrawn without prior warning and at very short notice, as happened this year, with little apparent regard for the exhibition team who have to pull out all the stops to try to source replacement(s) at even shorter notice.  Fortunately there are a good number of nice people around who will help out if they can, again as happened this year.

Anyway, sorry to drone on and really pleased that you "thoroughly enjoyed the day".  Nothing worse than travelling through a monsoon & finding nothing worth seeing when you get there!

Hopefully before too long we can say "hello" face to face  .  .  .  .

Only too pleased to help out Graham. 

Always a good and very enjoyable show.

I enjoyed the show on Saturday could only stay a few hours DIY dutys new kitchen,bacon buttie went down nice my layout should be there next year if Graham still wants me 80s clay layout.

Thanks to Graham and the team for putting on a great little show.

Edited by spenc