RMweb

BR Deltic late crest in green.

dude2112

I have just purchased a BR late crest weathered Deltic. After a few issues it is now running well.

I have mooched on the internet but cannot find a definitive answer as too which coaches should run with this model.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Andy

When I was still wearing short pants I remember seeing one of the first Deltics whizzing past Darlington Station on the Elizabethan - with a rake of pristine maroon Mk1s. For that working the Deltic was also pristine so possibly not a lot of interest to you and your weathered version!  That would be 1961 / 62 whenever the Deltics were first introduced. What happened later is for others here to tell.

Cheers Ray

PS Just remembered I wrote a Post on my Blog about Deltics and the Tees Tyne Pullman:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880/entry-9868-no-holds-barred-addendum-to-my-last-pullman-blog/

Edited by Silver Sidelines

• RMweb Gold

If you try this website it will give you the dates of fitting with dual brakes and painting in blue livery.

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/loco_list.htm

Click on your loco number and read through the page.

Most of the time in green would have been with maroon VB coaches, but the first runs of the XP64 stock in service were on the 'Talisman' behind a Deltic.

Green deltic photos on my Flikr site below

Click on Albums & scroll down to Newcastle to Darlington & Newcastle to West Hartlepool trips back in 1968. Both blue & green Deltics & all blue / grey stock.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

I’m pretty sure from reading awhile back that due to the small fleet size, all 22 Deltic’s were repainted into blue by the end of 1968 or certainly by 1969. If that’s correct, your time window is only about 6 years or so.

• RMweb Gold

I’m pretty sure from reading awhile back that due to the small fleet size, all 22 Deltic’s were repainted into blue by the end of 1968 or certainly by 1969. If that’s correct, your time window is only about 6 years or so.

D9002 was the first in blue in October 1966.

D9014 kept green livery until November 1969.

• RMweb Gold

I am assuming that by 'BR green late crest' you mean two tone green livery with white cab window surrounds and the 1956 'dartboard and ferret' crest that was in use at the time the Deltics were brought into service in '61/2.  As you know, they were used on top link ECML expresses for most of their working lives. and such trains tended to have the most recent stock available.  

So, much depends on the period your layout is set in, and the size of your warning panels if the loco has them.  The initial deliveries had no yellow warning panels, and if your loco is without these, your problem is solved; lined maroon mk1s with B1 or Commonwealth bogies.  By 1962, small yellow warning panels appeared and lasted until at least 1967 on all locos, so again you want mk1s as above, but after 1965 one or two mk2 FKs, in lined maroon, and with 4 panel sliding ventilators unlike the 3 panel version of late mk2s, on B4 bogies, put in an appearance.  From 1966, blue/grey mk1s on B4 bogies started to appear and rapidly displaced the maroon coaches on these top link trains.  By 1967, some locos were given full end yellow warning panels while still in green livery, the panels being applied at the sheds and not requiring a works visit.  Blue livery with full yellow ends followed fairly rapidly and was complete by 1969.  

Full air braked rakes of blue/grey mk2 coaches with matching mk1 BGs and Restaurant Cars all on B4 bogies appeared at about the same time as blue livery on the locos, but there was a crossover and you can probably justify a green loco with smaller warning panel pulling one of these trains.

Pullmans would have been both the earlier and the later mk1 based Metro-Cammel types, as modelled by both Hornby and Bachmann, until about 1966 when only the Metro-Cammells were left; the reversed grey/blue Corporate Identity Pullman livery started to appear on these at this time, but was never universally applied and most of the stock survived in brown/cream traditional livery until withdrawal.  

All the above is a generalisation based on the usual practice of the day; there were overlaps and exceptions to everything but my opinion is that normal practice should be modelled as much as possible and exceptional.  The 60s were a period of very rapid change on the ECML (and indeed everywhere else), which as far as coaching stock was concerned continued into the 70s with the air conditioned mk2s, until the HSTs took over.  This means that for some periods, especially 1966-8, trains of mixed livery could be seen, and in the earlier 60s the odd Thompson coach might still turn up as a strengthener.

Just to add, 9010 was in green (FYE) with post-1965 BR emblems for a short while, think it was the only Deltic to be so treated although this seemed to be an ER thing, some class 15/23/31 were also recipients.