Help with freight working

• RMweb Gold

This is probably one for Beast, but others may have a WTT or similar info. There is currently a freight working that is looped at Broxbourne (Herts) in the up direction on Wednesday evenings around 17:45-18:00. On 24th March it was 66 115 with 7 TTAs. Last Wednesday (14th April) it was 66 002 with 6-8 Cargowaggons and 8 Esso TTAs. I think it is a relatively new working because I’ve only noted it on these two occasions. Can anyone help with the train details please?

It's a sorta jack of all trades Anglian wagonload working - TTA's are to/from Freightliner at Ipswich yard (loco fuel) and the Cargowaggons are to/from Potter Group in Ely, if it works the same as it did before the recent wagonload reshuffle you might also get an occasional intermodal flat to/from Harwich on there as well?

Sorry my info on the train ID is at home, but can I reccomend freightmaster if you want to hunt these things down, lots of great info there and no need to have access to a WTT to shoot freight. wink.gif

wnxx.com interactive forum never fails to ID trains - probably because one of the mods is the freightmaster chap.

incidentally 66002 was at hayes today on aggregates as I made my way past to paddington

Interestingly it's one of only a handful of trains in the SE to miss all the FM timing points! I could probably find the headcode for the return on the forum there but it's late and I need some sleep. tongue.gif

The outbound shows up at Ely as the 6Y34 Ripple Lane-Ipswich (via Potter Group) - so the return must go via Stowmarket and Cambridge.

• RMweb Gold
<br />The train is 6R34, 14:54 Ipswich - Ripple Lane. It is booked to be looped at Broxbourne from 1730 until 1800.<br /><br />HTH.<br />
>

Many thanks for all the comments. I'll be looking out for it later today. Also, I have since looked up Freightmaster, but couldn't justify an £80 annual subscription for the amount of photography I'm doing at present.

There's a quarterly book version as well (although obviously that becomes less accurate as time goes on) - that might be worth trying out if you like the idea but don't want to commit that much without trying it.

When I joined I found I was shooting more than before as I knew where/when to be (and where/when not to bother) rather than just turning up at a supposedly busy place on the offchance.

• RMweb Gold

Saw the working again yesterday evening. It was 66 014 and 7 TTAs, but there was a twist in the tale, hence this report. Instead of being looped in the up yard at Broxbourne, it had been signalled into the up main, platform 2, so the EMU workings that are scheduled to overtake were all routed through the up bay platform. Whether it was human error or a technical glitch such as a points failure I don’t know, but it gave me a welcome variation on my usual vantage point!

Archived