Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

I am looking for Details of Excursions by train to Windsor in the 1950s

Tallpaul69

I vaguely remember as an 8-10 year old in the mid 50s going on an excursion by rail from Luton to Windsor. I guess the train started from Bedford with something like a black 5 on the front!

I seem to remember that the trip included a boat ride on the Thames and that it was one way, we did not return to Windsor.

I have no recollection of how we got home!!

This seams a good excuse to run a LMR train on my WR Slough layout, but more information would be appreciated.

I have also seen a picture of a Jubilee crossing the river from Windsor with a train.

So any information on these or other excursions to Windsor from out of the WR starting points would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I doubt if the Six Bells site will be of much use as most of these trains were all parspecs (speculative excursions) run by. BR and not railtours but it might include the charters for particular companies - here is the correct link, look in the STN section although it isn't very comprehensive and seems to be mainly ER -

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk

Some that I know about either by seeing them or seeing photos of them and many of course used Bath Road Curve at Slough as they came from or returned to the west as far as Slough was concerned -

Definitely a 'Jubilee' (illustrated),  Castle, LMS Fowler Crab (I saw that at Twyford on its return working), LMS 4F (with about 11 coaches - also one I saw at Twyford heading home), probably a Black Five.  overall i think you'd get a pretty good choice in the early '60s

Some of the combined river excursions dropped passengers at one station and collected them at another although not necessarily all passengers took the river trip.  The site linked below will help give you an idea of some of the workings to Windsor although it is only those using the Wycombe branch -

http://www.mdrs.org.uk/wycmaidmarlow.htm

Many thanks folks for the information:-

I didn't find much to help me in the six bells site, not sure what the excursion I remember was classified as, although I am pretty certain it was BR organised.

I did enjoy the pics of the High Wycombe line!

Any further info will be appreciated

Cheers

Paul