Mystery "BU" signal on Cambrian line

Coryton

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone explain what the signal in the image below is for?

post-18810-0-00278300-1541350314.jpg

It's just beyond Barmouth station, facing trains heading towards the bridge. It appears to illuminate just before a train heads towards it, and stays on for a while afterwards. It doesn't seem to illuminate for trains going the other way. There is another one a little further down the line on the other side. 

It's not something I recognize, and it is particularly curious given that the line has generally dispensed with lineside signals (though I suppose that's not really true given the large number of locally monitored level crossings).

Barriers have gone back up indication to the driver, after he has passed over a locally worked level crossing with barriers. If it doesn't light up, supposed to stop and walk back to manually raise the barriers. A set can be found at the level crossing at Llandindod Wells.  Caused us problems when we worked diverted steel trains over there, as you passed the indicator before your train had cleared the crossing, so they had to station someone there to make sure the barriers did raise after the passage of the train.

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone for that. I knew RMweb would come to the rescue here.

I did have a go at Railsigns but not well enough obviously.

Barriers have gone back up indication to the driver, after he has passed over a locally worked level crossing with barriers. If it doesn't light up, supposed to stop and walk back to manually raise the barriers. A set can be found at the level crossing at Llandindod Wells.  Caused us problems when we worked diverted steel trains over there, as you passed the indicator before your train had cleared the crossing, so they had to station someone there to make sure the barriers did raise after the passage of the train.

Presumably why there are two in Barmouth - one in the right place to stop a regular length train before it's got too far, and another further on for something on the longer side but a bit more of a walk back.