Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Licensing logos

Hello all

I've been working on some 3D printed tanktainers in N scale (1:160) and I've got to the point where I need to think about decals.

For personal use perhaps I can just make up the logos myself and get something run off by a decal printing company but what if down the road I wanted to sell a kit that included transfers?

I can find open source images of the ADR warning labels and the other writing on the tanks shouldn't need licensing but to include the logos I assume I would need permission, especially as I'd be looking at contemporary prototypes.

Has anyone done this? Is it really just a case of emailing the companies and asking permission?

I'd love to hear about any experiences anyone has had doing this.

Thanks

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I have been involved in a process such as this, when gainfully employed, many moons ago. I worked for a well established British company that was taken over by a well established French company. I was approached by the UK representative of a well established Danish model railway manufacturer, and asked if it would be in order for them to produce a model of a rail vehicle using the older, British, livery.

I asked the French marketing people if the old British livery could be used and was told that it would only be possible to use the current livery on the model. This response was not much good, because the model would never have run with the current livery. I made further enquiries, using a more personal approach and different command chain, but was still unable to secure official permission to use the old livery.

Result? The model was produced in the old livery and, as far as I know, nobody has been prosecuted.

Who were the parties involved? Blue Circle, Lafarge, Heljan. What was the model?

post-2194-0-21742200-1541602474_thumb.jpg

A Blue Circle liveried Habfis.

You will find that some large companies jealously guard their trademarks, regardless of who uses them, and others are much more accommodating. My advice would be to do as you suggest, and e-mail the company concerned, stating clearly what you intend to do. Once they respond you can take an informed decision about your future. . . . . . . . . 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When we had a Gingsters 158 (the transfers were not by me I hasten to add) I asked permission from Gingsters to use it (we'd already produced it but before we went public) and they couldn't have been more helpful, no problem using it, send us a picture of the model etc. etc. - great customer service and a sensible attitude.

• Like 2

You will find that some large companies jealously guard their trademarks, regardless of who uses them, and others are much more accommodating.

Indeed. Naturol of this parish was asked to change the name of his layout by the multinational chemical company whose facility he had modelled.