1990's Western National in Badgerline days.

• RMweb Gold

When I moved to Plymouth in the early 1990's one of my enduring memories was of the Western National buses in the 'Flags' red, white and blue Badgerline livery with the Badger logo on the rear side of the bus.  To this day it remains my favourite bus livery especially when applied to a Plaxton Pointer in the L401 VCV on wards fleet registration series.

Sadly when Badgerline merged with GRT Group to form First the once smart appearance of the Badgerline Western National fleet began to deteriorate and a number of liveries were trialled. 

I believe there is a Plaxton Pointer and Mercedes 709D Beaver preserved in the 'Flags' livery thankfully.

Sadly I never took any snaps during this period.  Does anyone have any photos of this period they would like to post on this thread? Plymouth Citybus photos of this period would also be appreciated especially the K, L and M registered Pointers.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I'll have to see what I have on file; I was a Senior Management Trainee with Badgerline Group and posted to Western National. On the day of the "flag" livery launch I collected one of the new Mercedes 811s from St Austell where they had been prepared down to Penzance for the ribbon cutting and festivities.

I'm pretty sure we borrowed one for Plymouth, but I brought a displaced Carlyle example back up to its new home at Laira Bridge.

I'd left Plymouth by the time the flags become widespread, returning in another role in First days when any remains of the livery could be described as scruffy (and that's putting it politely!).

• RMweb Gold

I'll have to see what I have on file; I was a Senior Management Trainee with Badgerline Group and posted to Western National. On the day of the "flag" livery launch I collected one of the new Mercedes 811s from St Austell where they had been prepared down to Penzance for the ribbon cutting and festivities.

I'm pretty sure we borrowed one for Plymouth, but I brought a displaced Carlyle example back up to its new home at Laira Bridge.

I'd left Plymouth by the time the flags become widespread, returning in another role in First days when any remains of the livery could be described as scruffy (and that's putting it politely!).

Hi Adrian,

That's very kind of you. Great story as well.

Laira Bridge Depot always looked fascinating having the traditional bus garage appearance. I seem to remember you could glimpse into the yard and in to another world. Earlier on in the year when I drove past the site it was still clear. 

When I moved to Ivybridge in the late 90's I remember the 811's at Ivybridge Station on the service to Modbury.

Thanks once again.

Mark