Blog- Rain, Clag and BR Blue - Lima Class 33 Project - Part IV

RSS Fetcher

This was my first time painting a locomotive from scratch, and there were many lessons learned through the process. That said, here is what I did:

Painting
The whole model was given a coat of Halfords Grey car primer, the buffer beam a basecoat of 'heavy red' from Vallejo to block out the colour, and the inside of the cabs given a coat of dirty white.

l040wpj.jpg

After that the ends were painted white then yellow, masked and the sides painted monastral blue, and finally the roof painted grey with the heavy cab-roof weathering typical of the class. Masking was awful with the handrails in place, and maskol failed me badly enough to ruin one end of the loco.

Transfers and Nameplates
Transfers were from Railtec - a patch of gloss varnish was applied to where the decal would sit, the decal was placed on it and then when dry covered with some matt varnish. Nameplates came from Shawplan and are fixed with double-sided tape.

Weathering
I weathered the cab roofs while the body was still masked, since the class typically had very stark contrast between the cab front and roof and I didn't want to risk overspray - using roof dirt. Prototype pictures showed me that the roof and body weathering were roughly the same colour so I used that again to add a few streaks do the bodyside and as a wash around grills. The exhaust and fan were darkened with a mixture of roof dirt, vallejo smoke and vallejo black. I did the body scuffs (33056 had some rather obvious white fading/scuffing marks) with white pastel

The penultimate stage illustrated below shows the locomotive before the final touches (a pinwash on the cantrail grills, and small tidy-ups):

2h7FR9V.jpg

View the full article