RMweb

Locos seen on the Somerset and Dorset mid 50s

dube

Yes I could change to 1961 and use the forthcoming Hornby BR Green 399 Maunsell and Bulleid 3 set, although I would also need some Maroon coaches but could add

1P (withdrawn?)
2P
3F
4F
Jinty
Black 5
Ivatt 2-6-2
BR Class 5
BR Class 4 2-6-0
BR Class 4 4-6-0
7F
West Country

BR 3MT 2-6-2

8F
Rebuilt West Country
Collect Goods
57xx ?
9F double chimney

Edited by dube

Crabs were not unknown I believe

I haven't seen a picture of one, though I believe they were tried in the 1930s. Too heavy for Bath Bristol/Gloucester route through Mangotsfield

as were Compounds.

I don't think 57XX got far south of Bath, being used as shunters and Bankers towards Coombe Down rather than replacing the Jinties at Radstock

Edited by DavidCBroad

Not sure about the period but has anyone mentioned Std 4 tank?

They didn't turn up 'till late - 80043/59/67 were the first, allocated to Templecombe September 1964, so it sez 'ere (Hands 'BR Steam Allocations part 9 Southern Region') :sungum: .

edit, someone mentioned 'Crabs', they were rare but not unknown, only one turned up more than once -  Burton's 42922.

The last 1P(58086) wasn't withdrawn 'till August 1960.

Edited by bike2steam

I don't think 57XX got far south of Bath, being used as shunters and Bankers towards Coombe Down rather than replacing the Jinties at Radstock

Between March 1959 to October 1965 a total of 11 were allocated to Templecombe, they were used regularly on the Templecombe to Bailey Gate milks, and occasionally the local pick-up freights ( the one with brake vans at both ends) to Poole Yard, which by then had become a lighter load. 

Edited by bike2steam

Having planned a layout between Birmingham and Derby mid 50s to run around my double garage, I was thinking about representing a section of the S&D on 1 wall as it will be all scenic and as I already have a lot of suitable Ex LMS and BR locos, would be a good excuse to run some foreign types, southern Pacific’s, Maunsell coaches ?

Already got

2P

3F

4F

Jinty

Black 5

Ivatt 2-6-2

BR Class 5

BR Class 4 2-6-0

BR Class 4 4-6-0

Need

7F

?

?

And I can still run some of the trains from my 1956 train formations;

NEWCASTLE-BOURNEMOUTH

GWR stock

*BTK-TK-TK-CK-CK-TK-TK-BCK

NEWCASTLE-BOURNEMOUTH

ER MK1

*BSK-FK-RU(LNER)-SO-SO-SO-SO-SK-BSK

The southern types weren't foreigners on the line. The GWR ones were though. The line was run for many years by the MR/LMS along with LSWR/SR. Who split the stock between themselves in the thirties, a lot of which had been designed and built by them.

The southern types weren't foreigners on the line. 

True enough, there was the occasional Poole yard to Blandford goods such as the fertilizer traffic to the Blandford & Webb depot in Blandford goods yard, Bournemouth shed would send whatever loco was available, usually an 0-6-0, on that working.