No.2999 The Lady in Black - this weekend!

Castle

Hi All,

She is quite striking isn’t she?! When you think how old the design is then you realise the impact it had...

Miss P (and others) my sources say that the boiler mounted ejectors (as opposed to the backhead ones) began to be fitted by c.1914 and the fleet had been complete upgraded to this standard by the time the 1920s were in full swing.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

The pre-1907 style of bufferbeam insignia is a nice touch.

I look forward to see how the bufferbeam will be lined. (!)

Richard Croucher of the GWS told me at Didcot today that it got badly scratched during a recent lift, and was painted over. It will return...

Miss P (and others) my sources say that the boiler mounted ejectors (as opposed to the backhead ones) began to be fitted by c.1914 and the fleet had been complete upgraded to this standard by the time the 1920s were in full swing.

Ah yes, I should have checked my Star notes, where the first 4-cone ejector was fitted in 1914 (to 4046), with all the Stars being apparently so fitted by 1919. (Presumably all the Saints had got their No 3 superheaters by that time as well, which seem to have become standard for a No 1 boiler.)

So what was so great about the 4-cone, and (ignorant question), what did the pipe along the boiler rhs actually do? Merely a fancy blower pipe?

Edited by Miss Prism

Hi Miss P,

The long pipe is an exhaust and takes the steam used in the ejector and puts into the smokebox so it can go it up the chimney where it won’t obscure the driver’s view. The joint between the spherical bit and the long pipe section is a steamtight sliding joint with a brass collar and packing to allow for the expansion of the boiler. Clever stuff!

All the best,

Castle

The 4 cone ejector was designed to restore the vacuum more quickly after a brake application, say for a distant which cleared as the train approached.  As such it was only fitted to locos expected to haul long fast vac.fitted trains.  Hope this helps.

Ray.