Little Fairford GWR BLT

Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

I think that I have always thought that the intention was to go even further west than Cirencester.

But it leads to an interesting thought. If the line had only reached Cirencester would it have linked to the line to Kemble (with the existing Cirencester station being abandoned) or would there have been a second terminus station. Sounds like a good option for a "might have been" layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The original plan for the EGR was a cross country line to connect Cheltenham to Faringdon via Andoversford with a branch at Lechlade to connect with the railway at Witney.

The company did actually start construction between Cheltenham & Andoversford but due to financial difficulties instead concentrated on building the line from Witney to Fairford.

• RMweb Gold

The original plan for the EGR was a cross country line to connect Cheltenham to Faringdon via Andoversford with a branch at Lechlade to connect with the railway at Witney.

The company did actually start construction between Cheltenham & Andoversford but due to financial difficulties instead concentrated on building the line from Witney to Fairford.

There would need to have been some fairly stiff gradients at both the Cheltenham and Faringdon ends as I recall the lie the land there. But, in general, a fascinating prospect as a model.