Replace Tender Coupler

mb300e4m

I want replace the tender tension-lock coupling on a Hornby Railways R2283 with a Hornby DUBLO plastic version one.

Does anyone have any experience doing this on the R2283 or similar Tender? Some advice and/or methodology would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The pictures show my predicament.They show the tender and a Hornby Dublo coach and a Trix Twin coach. The Hornby Dublo picture would not upload, when I tried to add it, the system asked for a URL, hmmm...

post-34329-0-64779700-1542741241_thumb.jpg

post-34329-0-71696900-1542741302_thumb.jpg

Edited by mb300e4m

Your lack of response is probably because people haven't done this - nor have I.

May I suggest that for starters you take the top off the tender to avoid any damage whilst work is in progress. There should be two screws across the chassis when looked at from below, take these out and the tender body should lift out, there is a "hinge" type moulding at one end so go carefully.

Take off the tender coupling, if it's the older fitting there's a screw from memory to undo then it flicks off. Examine the chassis and decide where your new coupling is to go, i.e. how far back from the buffers will the pivot be so that clearance is sufficient to go round your curves. I'd then make a small pilot hole, as a prelude to opening this out with a view to fitting a self tapper that will hold up your new coupling. You may well need a suitable size washer to sit between the head of the screw and the coupling to keep all in place.

John.

Thanks John, the coupling is in a box and is held in place with a plastic pin. The box has a plastic cover on it glued in place, but I have been able to remove the cover and remove the tension-lock coupling. However the box is too low so that a replacement Hornby Dublo style coupling would be below the one on a HD or Trix coach so would not couple. Next week I'll take the coupler off, photograph the box etc and post some pictures. Cannot do it this week, am getting ready for a two day exhibition next weekend called "Trains for Christmas".

The tension-lock hook will will hook on to a HD coupling but not securely enough. Temporarily to make it more secure I have added some weight to the hook. It seems I may need to find a cranked plastic HD coupling

Peter B.

Edited by mb300e4m