Pinpoint bearings question

Pillar

Perhaps an obvious question, but one I can't seem to find an answer to.

Does anyone know why most 2mm brass 'pinpoint' bearings don't seem to come to a true 'pin' point? Recently I've been taking my first steps in P4 wagon building, and I've found that all the bearings I've sourced from various suppliers seem to end in a small flat surface at the innermost point, rather than coming to a true pinpoint. This allows the axle to wander rather than holding it firmly parallel, and to my eyes does not give a good result.

By contrast I have some other brass pinpoint bearings left over from my 00 days which came packaged with Romford 00 wheels. These do come to a true pinpoint and the results with these are excellent with the axles held firmly in place and free to rotate.

Am I missing something? And does anyone know where I can buy bearings which do end in true pinpoints?

Thanks

Liam

Edited by Pillar

The last consignment I had from Alan Gibson were fine. 

Good sir how did you manage that? I've been waiting since March this year for an order to be fulfilled! Admittedly it does include three sets of milled mainframes which can't help the process

TimT

Good sir how did you manage that? I've been waiting since March this year for an order to be fulfilled! Admittedly it does include three sets of milled mainframes which can't help the process

TimT

I tend to buy them in large quantities as I have an awful lot of wagons to build and my last purchase was a couple of years ago. I would imagine it's the frames that are holding things up as AG are usually fairly prompt at filling orders.