Diagrams E113, E115 & E118?

Hello

I've been looking at Russell Appendix 1 for some more obscure coaches to model and 3d print as detailed here.

Diagrams E113 (brake composite) and E115 & E118 (composite) of 1923/24 vintage. Are these modifications of the 57' Toplight series, looking at the underframe and the turn under ends of the body suggest to my (untrained) eye they are, but without the toplights, door vents and rain strips.

Is so it would be relatively easy for me to knock up having done some mutlibar toplights and something a bit different.

Any information or suggestions would be welcomed...

Thanks

Jon

E115/8 are just E127 left and right versions but with flat ends and fishbelly bogies.They owe more to the South Wales stock than toplights. They are a straight forward conversion from the latest rtr. I made mine from some redundant part build BSL's that I was not going to use when the new Hornby's came out. I replaced the bow with flat ends etc etc. The sides are the same. Lofty on RM web cut and shut his from original (now railroad) colletts.

Mike Wiltshire

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB803GB803&biw=1920&bih=1040&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=vlP1W8G6BYvAgAb-vLHQBw&q=gwr+e118&oq=gwr+e118&gs_l=img.3...113980.114769..114915...0.0..0.181.252.1j1......1....1..gws-wiz-img.oe72GsMth8s&safe=active&ssui=on#imgrc=qHQNyXgiQ-ufdM:

E118 to show the similarity with 1925 stock.

Edited by Coach bogie

E115/8 are just E127 left and right versions but with flat ends and fishbelly bogies.They owe more to the South Wales stock than toplights. They are a straight forward conversion from the latest rtr. I made mine from some redundant part build BSL's that I was not going to use when the new Hornby's came out. I replaced the bow with flat ends etc etc. The sides are the same. Lofty on RM web cut and shut his from original (now railroad) colletts.

Mike Wiltshire

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB803GB803&biw=1920&bih=1040&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=vlP1W8G6BYvAgAb-vLHQBw&q=gwr+e118&oq=gwr+e118&gs_l=img.3...113980.114769..114915...0.0..0.181.252.1j1......1....1..gws-wiz-img.oe72GsMth8s&safe=active&ssui=on#imgrc=qHQNyXgiQ-ufdM:

E118 to show the similarity with 1925 stock.

Thank you, Mike. Unless I'm mistaken there is still the turn-under ends so they are akin to the one off C55 drawing of which is in the Wild Swann Great Western Coaches drawing book?

Thank you, Mike. Unless I'm mistaken there is still the turn-under ends so they are akin to the one off C55 drawing of which is in the Wild Swann Great Western Coaches drawing book?

I agree but this series was the transition from Toplights to 'modern' stock. Features such as steel panel roof construction taking over from canvas covered wood, new lighting systems, single roof vents, etc which led to the South Wales stock following soon after.

By using Comet flat ends the turn under is a simple bending exercise.

The C55 is a rebuilt toplight (ex ambulance stock, with the body assembled alongside the C54 (Hornby) Collett stock and entering service in 1926 some 3 years after the South Wales Stock. The E115/8 were new construction which rolled off in December 1923, eight months after the first C44/5 of the South Wales stock in July 1923.

I am still of the opinion that the composites are more modern than the toplights.

Mike Wiltshire

There's a E114 preserved at Didcot, but I've never seen a photo showing a full view of it and I doubt its been out of their carriage shed in at least 30 years. 

K14 of this parish ought to know - he may even be able to provide you with dimensions if you ask nicely. 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

I agree but this series was the transition from Toplights to 'modern' stock. Features such as steel panel roof construction taking over from canvas covered wood, new lighting systems, single roof vents, etc which led to the South Wales stock following soon after.

By using Comet flat ends the turn under is a simple bending exercise.

The C55 is a rebuilt toplight (ex ambulance stock, with the body assembled alongside the C54 (Hornby) Collett stock and entering service in 1926 some 3 years after the South Wales Stock. The E115/8 were new construction which rolled off in December 1923, eight months after the first C44/5 of the South Wales stock in July 1923.

I am still of the opinion that the composites are more modern than the toplights.

Mike Wiltshire

OK, thanks and understood. I have several surplus Railroad Collets and was looking for use for them so will peruse that thread.