RMweb

Single track BLTs - direction convention?

john new

• RMweb Gold

Probably a numpties question despite many years of solo modelling when it hasn't mattered.

When I have wired roundy-roundies, I have generally made the F direction on the controller run clockwise, therefore F = left to right on a single track oval and the same for the outside track on doubles. Logical as F always becomes smokebox leading, therefore even on the inside track where F is running right-left it is still F (Forwards) smokebox leading.

Today's query arises from wiring up my new shunting plank able to be operated from either the front or the rear depending on circumstance and therefore which of two sockets I plug the controller into. One feed does the lot, absolute basic wiring on purpose. 

Is there an established convention for which way is F? If yes is it generally smokebox to buffers or smokebox to fiddle yard? 

I could wire it crossed so F is still always left irrespective of which side I'm operating from or so that F is always a move either on-set (to buffers) or off set (to fiddle yard)?

As it is intended for a "have a go" layout if there is a convention I will follow it, no problem to do as all I will need to change is reverse one set of wires in one or other of the chocolate blocs. 

Edited by john new

I would use the crossed wire route so that F always goes one particular way which ever side you are. I'd be inclined to use F to the buffers.

AFAIK there is no convention on this.

My personal layout is DCC with EMUs and diesels, I always have them set as 'F'orward is to the buffers. I twiddle the DCC chip setup so that all items head that way regardless of the actual orientation. As with EMUs it is not always easy to see which way they run on 'Forwards' I stick an orange dot on the underside to identify the 'Front' end regardless of what is prototypically correct or not for diesels.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would use the crossed wire route so that F always goes one particular way which ever side you are. I'd be inclined to use F to the buffers.

AFAIK there is no convention on this.

My personal layout is DCC with EMUs and diesels, I always have them set as 'F'orward is to the buffers. I twiddle the DCC chip setup so that all items head that way regardless of the actual orientation. As with EMUs it is not always easy to see which way they run on 'Forwards' I stick an orange dot on the underside to identify the 'Front' end regardless of what is prototypically correct or not for diesels.

John

I think that make sense too. Can always swap again if I get confused.

There is no convention, least none that Ive ever heard about in either Britain or America.  

Do what is convenient to you. Though if your transformer has a horizontal direction switch, I would wire it with respect to what side youre on.  Helps the brain not get confused.  

In UK where a station has more than one platform a train usually enters from the right, thus right to left is forwards on your controller versus the platform location.

There are however in UK many examples of platforms where a train enters from either end, so flying in the face of convention.

Rob

It makes sense for the controller knob or switch to turn in the same direction that the train is running.  I would arrange two plugs for the track feed, one for the controller behind the layout and one for in front wired so they provide opposite directions.  I use Morley and OnTrack remotes so I could simply have the remote extensions with two jack plug sockets wired opposites.

I don't like turning a knob clockwise to control a train going right to left.  Comes from starting with Hornby Dublo and suffering TriAng controllers with a direction switch and near impossibility of getting any sensible speed from them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

After running it today have definitely gone for L is always left to right. On the front op position that is train running in ans operating from the rear means it it is departing. 

Although I am OK using slide switch reverse controllers I much prefer the older centre top off position type.