My 3D printing bits and bobs.

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to posting on the forum but I've been watching from afar for quite a while!

I've been recently using my 3D printers to produce some line-side details (in 00) and I though I'd post some of the results here. I have a Creality Ender 3 and an Anycubic Photon. I use Fusion 360 for my modelling work.

Initially I knocked up a few bits and bobs for this little diorama:

post-32263-0-91438000-1542885037_thumb.jpg

The fence and pallets were done on the Photon and the relay boxes, cable trunking and relay box base were done on the Ender.

I've also done an aggregate bag (Photon) which I still need to paint.

post-32263-0-81342600-1542885171_thumb.jpg

My latest attempt has been the HW2000 point machine:

post-32263-0-75016600-1542885304_thumb.png

The render.

post-32263-0-00488600-1542885336_thumb.jpg

post-32263-0-24457000-1542885385_thumb.jpg

Test prints from the Photon (with a quick coat of primer).

I'll aim to update this post as and when I add new designs.

Alex

Edited by al3xfoster
  • Like 14

Hello Alex

Those prints look really good. Keep up the good work.

I've been reading a lot about these two printers and might even consider buying one however I can't find much detail on minimum thicknesses and minimum depth/height of surface details possible. I know it's asking a lot for a low-cost printer but as I work in N scale do you know from your experience whether it would be possible to successfully print a straight square arm (0.6mm x 0.6mm) with the Photon?

It looks like the Alstom branding on your point motor came out quite crisply and some of my prints (used Shapeways) have 0.1mm deep engraving or 0.1mm high raised detail and I wonder whether that would be possible?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but my curiosity gets the better of me simply because these budget printers could open up some exciting possibilities.

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply.

I've not tried to print anything that small on it. The Alstom logo is .11mm high at OO and the layer height is 25 microns. I've not tried to print anything really, really tiny yet. I'll try and print a point motor in N and see how it comes out (the Alstom logo would be .0.057mm high). If it works, I can stick one in the post for you so you can see how it comes out? Or, if you know of or can send me an .stl file of the sort of thing you'd like to print, I'll happily attempt to print it as a test for you.

I use this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1crvzMnt_8NJXAsABinoIhcOjE8l3h7s0L82Zlh1vkL8/edit#gid=0 as a guide for my basic print settings. I haven't yet tried to print at a 10 microns layer height.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply.

I've not tried to print anything that small on it. The Alstom logo is .11mm high at OO and the layer height is 25 microns. I've not tried to print anything really, really tiny yet. I'll try and print a point motor in N and see how it comes out (the Alstom logo would be .0.057mm high). If it works, I can stick one in the post for you so you can see how it comes out? Or, if you know of or can send me an .stl file of the sort of thing you'd like to print, I'll happily attempt to print it as a test for you.

I use this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1crvzMnt_8NJXAsABinoIhcOjE8l3h7s0L82Zlh1vkL8/edit#gid=0 as a guide for my basic print settings. I haven't yet tried to print at a 10 microns layer height.

That's very kind, thank you.

Hmmm, it looks like 25 micron layer thickness would fall roughly between the Shapeways smooth and smoothest material types so it may well work OK.

I think the difference might be in the supports. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Photon builds support structures out of resin whereas the Shapeways printers use wax to support structures which is then melted away. I suppose cutting these support structures away might damage very thin walls or the long arms I'm looking at creating.

Anyway if you're happy to do it I'l love to see how the point motor comes out and I could send over an .stl of one of the container frames as that's the bit with all the thin walls and long arms. I could get that sent over tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Simon

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to posting on the forum but I've been watching from afar for quite a while!

I've been recently using my 3D printers to produce some line-side details (in 00) and I though I'd post some of the results here. I have a Creality Ender 3 and an Anycubic Photon. I use Fusion 360 for my modelling work.

Initially I knocked up a few bits and bobs for this little diorama:

attachicon.gifIMG_1781.JPG

The fence and pallets were done on the Photon and the relay boxes, cable trunking and relay box base were done on the Ender.

I've also done an aggregate bag (Photon) which I still need to paint.

attachicon.gifIMG_1767.jpg

My latest attempt has been the HW2000 point machine:

attachicon.gifHW2000_Point_Motor_render.png

The render.

attachicon.gifHW2000 1.JPG

attachicon.gifHW2000 2.JPG

Test prints from the Photon (with a quick coat of primer).

I'll aim to update this post as and when I add new designs.

Alex

Super job. They look easier to handle compared to the one i was wrestling with yesterday.

post-4034-0-84930300-1544008483_thumb.jpg

• Like 1