Gladiator 8F kit

michl080

Good morning,

Can any kind soul supply information about the quality of the Gladiator 8F kit? The kit seems to be from the 1990. How does it compare with the MOK kit, which is more recent.

thanks for any comment,

Michael

• RMweb Gold

If you have a choice buy the MOK kit it's far superior the instructions are poor but there are several online builds which cover the pitfalls.

Downside is I don't think the MOK kit is available at the MO unless Dave has done another small run of them.

• Like 1

thanks for the answers!

Markjj, the MOK website says it's not available in the moment, but the Gladiator Webesite says the same :-/

Tony, thanks for the input.

David, no need to check the age of the Peter Dobson kit, it is from around 1995.

Actually, I came across a Gladiator 8F auction on ebay. The pictures showed the copyright year quite clearly.

It's gone, I was too slow. I made a wrong note about the end of the auction.  :O

thank you all, great support in this forum for a completely ignorant modeller...

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Michael it's worth giving Dave Sharp the owner of MOK a ring as he often does short runs of the 8f that don't show up on his website. Also keep your eyes open on the various forums they often come up there. I got one complete with wheels earlier this year on the 0-gauge guild sales and wants page.

• Like 1

I managed to pick one up from ebay a couple days ago and really am looking forward to it.

:O :o

I guess that was the one from "steampower92", right? good luck with the kit.

I hope we see some pictures when you start building your new kit. I saw that you are building a DJH Class 03 kit in the moment. Looks like we are taking the same approach, I am currently building a MMP Class 08 which is a wonderfully detailed kit.

Markjj, thanks for the advice, that is what I am currently doing. Looking for opportunities. As I am not planning to build a layout where I need to have a certain class in a certain livery of a certain time, things are quite easy. If it won't be an 8F, it may be something completely different instead.

Michael

• RMweb Gold

Michael any of Dave Sharps (MOK) kits are a dream to build. Most of them are very well covered on the different forums. There are 2 BR Standard kits in Dave's range plus one more to come. There is also the Ivatt which is a lovely kit if you are not tied to any theme most of these loco's could be found over most of the country by the time Diesel shunters came on the scene. By the way the MMP 08 kit is a lovely kit as are any of the MMP range of kits.

• Like 1

post-12187-0-47715900-1543246246_thumb.jpg

Here's one I made earlier...……..built from the Gladiator kit some five years ago and since swapped for a King. (No rude comments please!...) I wouldn't hesitate to build another one and didn't experience any major issues when building it. I would venture to suggest that once painted it would be hard to tell the difference between an MOK one and the Gladiator one. Hope this helps.

Jeff

• Like 3

Michael,

It is indeed. It will be some time before I get into the guts of it but I will be sure to put some photos and updates of it.

The DJH 03 is lovely but the instructions take a bit of reading and is mainly just photos of each stage. I completely messed the chassis up on stage 1 and had to reorder the main etch, spacers and axle bushes... nearly 20 quid later.

Had I of done more reading first I would of also tapped the crank pin nuts and bushes 10BA and used 10BA bolts but alas I was too eager on that one.

Good luck with yours.

• Like 1

David, no need to check the age of the Peter Dobson kit, it is from around 1995.

Actually, I came across a Gladiator 8F auction on ebay. The pictures showed the copyright year quite clearly.

Michael, not sure what you were looking at. A tender etch perhaps as these are older, but as I thought the loco is much more recent.

post-13840-0-11554900-1543483192_thumb.jpg

David

Michael, not sure what you were looking at. A tender etch perhaps as these are older, but as I thought the loco is much more recent.

David,

hmmm, I rechecked the pictures at ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/O-GAUGE-Gladiator-8f-Kit-/183542523187?nma=true&si=YBdrjDL3KwGnyZuHXfYOPT30JuQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and couldn't find the marks. I guess that I mixed things up. Really sorry, I stand corrected. I didn't want to spread wrong information.

Michael

David,

hmmm, I rechecked the pictures at ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/O-GAUGE-Gladiator-8f-Kit-/183542523187?nma=true&si=YBdrjDL3KwGnyZuHXfYOPT30JuQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and couldn't find the marks. I guess that I mixed things up. Really sorry, I stand corrected. I didn't want to spread wrong information.

Michael

No problem. Incidentally the kit shown has the Fowler rivetted tender, which is the only version currently in stock. The others will be available early next year.

David

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Making good progress, the middle set of bearings/ horn guides need adjusting as the axle isn't straight. Im not sure but the frames look slightly out of square but they're OK when I check them with a set square

20200702_221809.jpg

20200702_222206.jpg

20200702_221932.jpg

• Like 2