RMweb

Upgrading Hornby OAA & Cambrian Air Braked Kits

aasmall

Hello everyone,

I’ve been upgrading the Hornby OAA Wagon and Cambrian OTA kits with LMS BP06 buffers and Bill Bedford W irons but I’m a little stuck with the replacement axleboxes and springs. I have the S kits catalogue but not sure which are the correct ones?

Can anyone give me a hint which ones I need?

Thanks!

Andy

Hello everyone,

I’ve been upgrading the Hornby OAA Wagon and Cambrian OTA kits with LMS BP06 buffers and Bill Bedford W irons but I’m a little stuck with the replacement axleboxes and springs. I have the S kits catalogue but not sure which are the correct ones?

Can anyone give me a hint which ones I need?

Thanks!

Andy

Andy, 

No one including SKits do the type on most OAA/ZDAs.  See below.

post-1373-0-04206000-1543418187_thumb.jpg

I hope to get SKits to do this in the future.

Some OAAs and all OTAs have a standard axle box, but I can't find a catalogue to confirm the type.

Sorry.

Edited by Lyddrail
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I modified some Hornby OAA wagons some time ago basically using the methods described by Jim Smith Wright on his website.

Whilst the body is OK the chassis was err not!

The solebars were replaced with the spare ones that come with the Cambrian SPA wagon kit, W irons are Bill Bedford Units (as you have used) and the brake gear is an etch from Colin Craig though not sure if this is still available. Axleboxes are roller bearing ones from I think Wizard Models but like you I was stumped when trying to find some suitable springs. To get over this I made my own using 40 thou x 10 thou microstrip for the leaves (sounds a bit daunting but if was easier than I thought it would be). These were initially cut a bit overlength and glued together in a stack to make a rectangular block and further microstrip added to represent the strap in the middle of the spring. (Note use the solvent sparingly otherwise you'll end up with a molten blob of plastic - I know!) Once it has all set hard the ends can then be cut/filed to produce the shape required and also to fit between the links on the Cambrian solebars. I thought I had some photos of the springs during the course of construction but regret I can't find them but hope the attached give some idea.

post-432-0-37863400-1543839754_thumb.jpg

post-432-0-00253200-1543839767_thumb.jpg

post-432-0-92613400-1543839783_thumb.jpg

Based on the photos below (also refer to the detail photos on Paul Bartlett's website) I fashioned the brake valves/cylinders form bits of microstrip and brass wire.

post-432-0-68868700-1543839831.jpg

post-432-0-72707000-1543839902.jpg

post-432-0-00795300-1543839917.jpg

post-432-0-85442100-1543839991.jpg

Referring back to the first three photos a couple of minor improvements to the body were to add some microstrip to represent the stanchions on the inside and also I removed the representations of the wooden planks on the inside of the ends (the ends being sheet metal).

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I don’t think the Colin Craig OAA underframe bits were ever available openly Mike. I think they were just test etches that Colin had done. I got a pair that were etched in very thin brass and they fell to pieces as I tried to assemble them. My suggestion to Colin that they needed to be etched in a slightly more robust thickness of brass with a bit of strategic beefing up of some of the tiny bits didn’t seem to have a successful reception.

To get the height of my OAAs to match the drawing I have (29.33mm) I found it necessary to pack the Cambrian solebars down by 80 thou which then caused the bodies to warp. Even with this packing and the buffers in the correct place they are still a bit low so may need further remedial work. As a result my two sit in a semi abandoned state awaiting further inspiration.

post-7228-0-25719400-1543917888_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Waveydavey
  • Like 2

I am also planning to upgrade a Hornby OAA as well, got it last week.

I'll probably use the SPA solebar and the spare leaf springs found in the Cambrian kits and MJT W irons.

Can anybody suggest a good way to make up the hanbrake levers, as the Colin Craig etch is now no longer available.

I will thank anybody in advance who can help.

Jules

I am also planning to upgrade a Hornby OAA as well, got it last week.

I'll probably use the SPA solebar and the spare leaf springs found in the Cambrian kits and MJT W irons.

Can anybody suggest a good way to make up the hanbrake levers, as the Colin Craig etch is now no longer available.

I will thank anybody in advance who can help.

Jule

http://www.stensonmodels.co.uk/product-category/all-products/4mm-products/ may have the bits you want; Phil Eames seems to have taken over at least some of Colin's range.

Thanks, I had a look at the Stenson's Models website and thought the OAA and VDA handbrake levers look similar in therms of shape and lengh.

Can anybody provide me with more info, or say if it's a terrible idea, that will be grateful.

Jules

Edited by Departmental203

Thanks, I had a look at the Stenson's Models website and thought the OAA and VDA handbrake levers look similar in therms of shape and lengh.

Can anybody provide me with more info, or say if it's a terrible idea, that will be grateful.

Jules

When I got my brake levers from Colin Craig I believe he said the ones for the OAA wagon were different to the ones for the VDA van. Apologies for the vagueness but it was a few years ago!