Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Micro Machines - Suitable for N Scale?

Does any of the millenials here remember Micro Machines? I do and they were awesome back in the day! But it did get me thinking...would they make great N Scale or T Gauge or smalle-scale vehiches for model layouts or dioramas? They are pretty cool and nice to work with especially if you are working on a WW1 diorama or something out of War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. What does anyone think? Laurie Calvert made some marvellous tripod fighting machines from the Jeff Wayne musical adaptation and they are considered the best better than the 1953 flying saucer-like things or the 2005 film with Tom Cruise.

So, apart from that, would Micro Machines make good vehicles to use on an N Gauge layout? The cars, trucks, lorries and tanks, even the helicopters would most likely be the case.

• Like 1

Does any of the millenials here remember Micro Machines? I do and they were awesome back in the day! But it did get me thinking...would they make great N Scale or T Gauge or smalle-scale vehiches for model layouts or dioramas? They are pretty cool and nice to work with especially if you are working on a WW1 diorama or something out of War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells. What does anyone think? Laurie Calvert made some marvellous tripod fighting machines from the Jeff Wayne musical adaptation and they are considered the best better than the 1953 flying saucer-like things or the 2005 film with Tom Cruise.

So, apart from that, would Micro Machines make good vehicles to use on an N Gauge layout? The cars, trucks, lorries and tanks, even the helicopters would most likely be the case.

Unfortunately I don't think Micro Machines are accurate enough to go on a model layout.  I've got a James Bond themed gift set with various vehicles.  The cars are somewhere between N and OO in scale but are more representative than accurate models (the Aston Martin DB5 is particularly poor).  There is a Cesna light aeroplane and a helicopter that don't look too bad but I don't know what scale they'd fit.  The Space Shuttle (Moonraker 1) is quite nice but probably only good for T-scale or in the distance.

• Like 1

I had some that I kept for my N gauge layout later realising that they were overscale. The wheels are generally very oversized and could do with slimming down. I’m sure some of them could be adapted and used, in the end it is your layout so rule one applies.

If you like them... I remember having them as a child, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

If you're into such things as scale and accuracy then there are probably better options out there, but if you just like them (and they bring back that nostalgia for 1990) then what better reason could there be?

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't think Micro Machines are accurate enough to go on a model layout.  I've got a James Bond themed gift set with various vehicles.  The cars are somewhere between N and OO in scale but are more representative than accurate models (the Aston Martin DB5 is particularly poor).  There is a Cesna light aeroplane and a helicopter that don't look too bad but I don't know what scale they'd fit.  The Space Shuttle (Moonraker 1) is quite nice but probably only good for T-scale or in the distance.

Maybe they work in TT gauge or 3mm Scale?

• Like 1

Most of the Micro Machines cars are more of a caricature of the real thing than a scale model, being far too short in relation to their width. That said, there were a few, such as the Citroen 2CV  (around TT scale) and the cute little Isetta bubble car  ( somewhere between HO and OO scale) which were nicely proportioned. I don't know of any which would accurately suit N gauge, but the wheels on all need attention to get rid of the toy-like appearance.

I'm with fodenway, weren't they "superdeformed", like cartoon versions? Which would probably make the BMW X5 quite accurate.

I had a Penny Racer VW Beetle, totally tricked out ride dude! The cat loved chasing it around the kitchen floor too...not helping am I...

C6T.

• Like 1

Some of their motorcycles are spot on for 00 scale as are some of their figures. I have some navy frogmen produced by them that are even articulated.

I have some Star Wars micro machine figures that would be perfect for 00 gauge. The ships are all out of scale with each other though.

• Like 1