Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

HornbyClass 50 Headcode Box

• RMweb Premium

I'm assuming the sound fitted ones are the same as all the other versions, with regard to the headcode box lights.

The headlights and red lights are wired directly onto the PCB, whereas the headcode box lights are wired via springy pick-ups, that contact pads on the rear of the bulb holder. This is to enable the body to be removed without wires between the body and the chassis.

Chances are, all you have to do is remove the body (remember to unclip the ETH sockets from the cab front first!!) and gently lever the pick-ups out slightly, to give good contact with the pads.

Pics show the contact pads below the cab moulding, and the pick-ups with a cocktail stick behind them, to highlight the part I mean !!

HTH

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-91650900-1543703853_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-57074100-1543703865_thumb.jpg

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction (no pun intended!).  After a few attempts to get the headcode light working, I managed one end but the other end refused to light up,  After using a powerful magnifying glass & light, I spotted a 1mm diameter plastic spigot, used to secure the black plastic light & central housing for the tail lights to the short stub upstand, protruding through the back. . 

When the body was replaced, the protruding plastic spigot was forcing the back of the cab away from one of the contacts, therefore no electrical contact for the headcode box.  I carefully prised the plastic light housing for the tail lights forward so there was just enough space to cut off the spigot.  I did not remove the light housing completely as I may have broken the soldered connection for the light, I then replaced the body ,head code worked, problem solved!

Peter

Edited by Crewlisle
  • Like 1