Blog- MikeOxon's Broad Gauge Blog - A Christmas Special

RSS Fetcher

It’s that time of year again, when Christmas shopping, finding presents for the Grand-children, etc., mean that modelling has to take a back seat for a while. In fact, I seem to have had more than the usual number of distractions from modelling throughout most of the past year.

So, to have a bit of fun and to show that I’ve not forgotten my aim to build ‘Rob Roy’ with its train, I have placed my model of this engine, in its current state, at Trowbridge Station – with a little help from Photoshop.

It looks as though the original photo (which, incidentally, really does show a Waverley-class engine) was taken at the time of gauge conversion, so I imagine this occasion was the last BG train at that station.

I’m sure that I’m not alone in finding that enthusiasm wanes a little, when the main scratch-building tasks have been completed and all those little details, like handrails, pipes, whistles and so on have to be added. At least I can be thankful that the old GWR let me off from having to make any brake gear :)

Choosing the colour for painting is another task that has just been eased, as a result of the ‘new’ GWR rail franchise having decided to adopt the old ‘Holly Green’ colour as part of the new corporate image! See https://www.pentagram.com/work/great-western-railway-1/story for more information. So, I now have a specification for what colour to use for my engine:

Apart from the engine, I have a Mail coach, 3rd-class and composite carriages, and a luggage van, all needing those ‘final touches’. My hope is that the New Year will provide me with the time and inclination to complete these tasks and then, who knows, I might even find an old illustration of North Leigh from back in the Broad Gauge days :)

My best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to fellow modellers, hoping that many children and grand-children will receive presents that will encourage them to take up the hobby.

Mike

Attached thumbnail(s)
  • blogentry-19820-0-24106000-1544377672.jp
  • blogentry-19820-0-62399300-1544377855.jp

View the full article