Detailing/Modifying my Hornby Railroad Patriot

ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Here is my attempt at modifying an old Hornby Railroad Patriot "Illustrious" I had kicking about. The model runs fine so I didnt want to mess with the chassis, but some areas were just crying out to be improved.

Here is what I did to try and get it to look a little better;

1. Removed the chunky plastic smoke deflectors and replaced with etched brass ones from Pheonix Precision Paints.

2. Removed the moulded injector pipe, exhaust valve and handrails - replaced with 1mm brass for the injector, scratchbuilt the valve and replaced handrails with .45mm wire

3. Removed the moulded chunky plastic windows

4. Removed the bogie and replaced with an etched brass Comet one with Romford wheels

5. Removed the chunky silver metal part of the motion gear with my Proxxon rotary tool

6. Re-numbered it, added front steps (Brassmasters)

7. Rubbed down the thick boiler bands

8. Re-painted it with Railmatch Crimson Lake

9. Re-lined it with Pressfix decals (unfortunately, I used Straw instead of Yellow)

10. Weathered the wheels, connecting rods using Birchwood Casey Brass Black/Alluminium Black and Super Blue

I have not yet tackled the tender (other than add real coal) and the body is now in need of weathering. It may not be perfect, but I think it looks a bit better than the original.

post-21193-0-17099900-1544607510_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-28994000-1544607754.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The front steps are easy to put together, you just need to make sure you are able to glue them well in the place behind the buffer beam.

The 6'3" Comet etched bogey isnt quite as chunky as the original Hornby and can be adjusted so the front wheels just miss the steps. They dont like tight radius curves, so you may need to adjust the bogey if necessary.

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/etched_detaiing_components.htm

A078 are the front and rear steps. They also do Stanier Tender steps. I am sure I also got steps from Alan Gibson or Wizard - I just cant remember.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my attempt at modifying an old Hornby Railroad Patriot "Illustrious" I had kicking about. The model runs fine so I didnt want to mess with the chassis, but some areas were just crying out to be improved.

Here is what I did to try and get it to look a little better;

1. Removed the chunky plastic smoke deflectors and replaced with etched brass ones from Pheonix Precision Paints.

2. Removed the moulded injector pipe, exhaust valve and handrails - replaced with 1mm brass for the injector, scratchbuilt the valve and replaced handrails with .45mm wire

3. Removed the moulded chunky plastic windows

4. Removed the bogie and replaced with an etched brass Comet one with Romford wheels

5. Removed the chunky silver metal part of the motion gear with my Proxxon rotary tool

6. Re-numbered it, added front steps (Brassmasters)

7. Rubbed down the thick boiler bands

8. Re-painted it with Railmatch Crimson Lake

9. Re-lined it with Pressfix decals (unfortunately, I used Straw instead of Yellow)

10. Weathered the wheels, connecting rods using Birchwood Casey Brass Black/Alluminium Black and Super Blue

I have not yet tackled the tender (other than add real coal) and the body is now in need of weathering. It may not be perfect, but I think it looks a bit better than the original.

Wow, that's just as good as Bachmann's super-detailed loco-drive model! I hope it still works.

Is that the tender drive version? (I have one from c. 1982.) As I recall, the tender drive unit's wheelbase is way out, so even a decent tender kit won't help.

I still have the model from the 2000s only I made it as the upcoming new-build The Unknown Warrior.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I started, some tears ago, to improve this model, albeit to BR green, the Airfix tender is a vast improvement on the Hornby effort which is a work of fiction, I think it was the same as the compound. But to me the locomotive's worst feature is the chimney Hornby's interpretation is nothing like the real thing, given what you have achieved with your model, which really looks great, I would substitute that chimney.

Rgds......Mike

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for the great comments and hints/tips. As with all modifying/improving RTR projects, it all depends just how far you are willing to go.

I will look at the chimney and havent started the tender so it might well be worth swapping it for an Airfix 4F one. What about a Bachmann/Mainline tender - were they any better than the Hornby version?

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all for the great comments and hints/tips. As with all modifying/improving RTR projects, it all depends just how far you are willing to go.

I will look at the chimney and havent started the tender so it might well be worth swapping it for an Airfix 4F one. What about a Bachmann/Mainline tender - were they any better than the Hornby version?

The Airfix 4F tender is at least the right wheelbase but otherwise not a brilliant representation. My plan had been to put an Airfix tender behind the Patriot but with the wrong wheelbase of the tender drive unit, that wasn't going to work. I then built an Alan Gibson Midland 3,250 gal tender to go behind the 4F, with the intention of converting the 4F to a Midland-built one with beaded splashers and RH drive but became dissatisfied with the Airfix body all round... So these two engines have sat around for a long time waiting for a fresh approach.

I started, some tears ago, to improve this model, albeit to BR green, the Airfix tender is a vast improvement on the Hornby effort which is a work of fiction, I think it was the same as the compound. But to me the locomotive's worst feature is the chimney Hornby's interpretation is nothing like the real thing, given what you have achieved with your model, which really looks great, I would substitute that chimney.

No. The Compound had (has?) a different tender with a longer wb.

Infinitely!

The Airfix 4F tender is at least the right wheelbase but otherwise not a brilliant representation. My plan had been to put an Airfix tender behind the Patriot but with the wrong wheelbase of the tender drive unit, that wasn't going to work. I then built an Alan Gibson Midland 3,250 gal tender to go behind the 4F, with the intention of converting the 4F to a Midland-built one with beaded splashers and RH drive but became dissatisfied with the Airfix body all round... So these two engines have sat around for a long time waiting for a fresh approach.

I am confused by Compound 2632's comments. Whatever the percieved shortcomings of the Airfix or Mainline/Bachmann tenders are, they are still streets ahead of the caricature used by Hornby.

• RMweb Premium

I am confused by Compound 2632's comments. Whatever the percieved shortcomings of the Airfix or Mainline/Bachmann tenders are, they are still streets ahead of the caricature used by Hornby.

Yes, they're all better but by differing degrees. My adverse comment was on the Airfix 4F tender, which I believe is the one still used for the Hornby (ex-Airfix) 4F and 2P, and is not particularly good. I don't know the Mainline tender (as used on the Bachmann Jubilee?) but the Bachmann tender on the BR late emblem ex-Midland 4F is pretty good.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

I have several versions of tender provided with different RTR models and all of them differ in dimensions and style;  Airfix 4F (modified body with Brassmasters splashers), Hornby 4F, Bachmann 3F, Mainline Royal Scot, Mainline Jubilee's, Hornby Patriot, Bachmann Jubilee and a Bachmann Patriot. I have also just built an SE Finecast 4F with a Fowler tender and again, different.

I will see what comes up cheap on Ebay for the tender and will go from there.