Faulty Farish Class 08 (371-004A) looking for service/wiring diagram

klevster

Hi Folks,

I have an older Farish N gauge Class 08 shunter (model no: 371-004A) in BR blue. It's around 13 years old, plain old DC and was bought brand new in the box. It's barely been used and unfortunately it's not been run for a few years. The last time it was run (last year) it needed a wee prod to get moving (or more like gently push down on the body) and then once going was fine until you stopped it, then once again you'd need to prod to get moving. The model has never been dismantled except for last night to see if there was anything obviously wrong (checking that the pickups etc are contacting the wheels etc).

Now it doesn't seem to want to run at all. The loco has always been stored in its original box and in a dust free average temp/humidity environment (i.e. your standard UK house).

There's absolutely no signs of life. I don't think there's a short as the DC (H&M Duet) controller isn't grumbling when the power is turned up. The controller is fine as it runs other DC locos perfectly.

I'm comfortable with fixing this myself and know my way around a meter and soldering iron.

So....

Where can I obtain a service sheet or wiring diagram for this model? Google has failed me here.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what might have gone awry with this loco? 

Thanks,

Kevin

Edited by klevster

• RMweb Premium

Try checking the brushes, one or both may be sticking, and while you have them out, try cleaning the commutator.

I have known oil cause a brush to become tight in the holder, and tarnish the commutator.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's not a lot to them. As Davexoc says, check the brushes and the commutator. If I remember rightly there are two screws under the cab that release the body. If it's that old, chances are the commutator could do with a clean. In the past I've just used a small screwdriver with a bit of cloth over the end, and gently cleaned it while rotating the commutator. Never felt the need to use any chemicals but I'm sure other people do. The old Poole Farish stuff is incredibly simple to repair, just a bit fiddly at times.

• Like 1