Gauge One (1/32) standard gauge industrial in lever files

I did post something a while back on designing a small gauge one (1/32 scale) standard gauge layout using boxfiles. Ihave now moved onto using follscap sized lever arch files, as they are slightly different size, and are actually a lot cheapeer if you look around.I found a supplier in Keighley.

Initialy I planned to only use 3 files, but now I plan to use 4 for scenic part, and one for fiddle yard. At 35 cm long per file, that is less than 2 metres in total. I can add more files if I want.

I am using my own 3D printed inset track, using code 200 rail. I had atempted tuse code 100 but it was too small. I bought a Marklin point,and am using my test point as inlay. I redesigned my inset trac point for code 200 rail, and that will be used for second point.

That is what I have laid out in photo.

Next file onwards will have a working wagon turntable on left and siding on right. Both tracks will then continue onto next section. This end, will be next section with point, continuing into fiddle yard.Both tracks will be capable of being run sepapately so I can run autoshuttle on one or both.Possibly light railway passenger  trains can be run as well as industrial freight.

g1-industrial-in-a-lever-file-pic1.jpg

It would not have been possible to get the two parallel tracks on the boxfile lid I intially planned to use. File files will not only be easy to transport, but also easy to store.

I may add a higher level on narrow ledge in front of backscene, possibly narrow gauge. Also looking at using 3D perspective against backscene.

The wooden planks are only there to show support track for photo. Track will fit onto a piece of corrugated cardbard(corrugations go towards backscene,so wires can be fed through.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 8

• 3 months later...

I've been slowly working on this, and finally got to the third section. I even tested some parts and my small Simplex runs, just about.

Will be mainly small locos, a proper standard gauge Simplex, and for steam a vertical boiler Cockerill.

ALF-gauge-one-industrial1-sm.jpg

The name I have given it is 'ALF'  - Arch Levers and Files.

A fiddle yard/stick will be fitted at each end. I am thinking of a high level narrow gaiuge at back but stillnot sure. That is the trouble with slow running projects as I can get bored and just want to finish it.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 4

Once I get the track finished it should not take long to get 'finished'. The Simlex just about runs, but its short wheelbase and lightweight chassis can cause it to stall on the points. I bodged up a chassis using a Hornby pacer motor unit, and Slateres SM32 tipper wagon wheels. I may think about getting a better chassis made.

Big locos look ot of place, which is why the only steam engine might be a Cockerill. Possibly a small Drewry railcar as well.

• Like 1