Gaugemaster HF2 Electronic Track Cleaner - Worth Having?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Broadway Clive said:

Yes, I've used a single track HF1 and two Relcos with common return for three decades on my extensive loft layout. The instructions state:- 'Any common return must be done after the HF track terminals and never on the controller side.' 

They are extremely effective at keeping things running and this can be demonstrated by fitting switches to their 16v power source so that the difference can readily be noticed between them being off and on. Of course they don't remove the need for normal cleaning, but they do vastly reduce the frequency of it and the risk of damage to scenic items and wiring. My loft layout endures many lengthy periods of inactivity so I've plenty of experience dealing with the dust and deposits when restarting, as I've been doing recently. I do have track cleaning wagons, but its the HF cleaners that enable the locos to move those around in the first place, and to move other trains so as to get access! 

The only problems I've experienced with them seems to be linked to a track occupancy detection module that requires a separate 12 volt supply to also share the common return. I needed to employ a number of diodes on a mimic module to get the panel lights working satisfactorily but now I realise no Relco will light when switched to this track. I'll experiment more but I may reluctantly need to replace it with a non track-linked detector as Gaugemaster do state that 'Any devices connected to the track such as lighting, sound devices or other electronic equipment will cause the unit to shut down'.   

Thanks Clive, that is really helpful.  No plans for any train detection on my control panel so that should not be an issue for me.

Steve

• Like 1

Had them on the club layout but now removed. We've seen no noticeable issues with them gone. we saw it far too risky having them on with the increase of DCC fitted stock being produced and run on the layout without reaslising.

• Agree 2