Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Baseboard Supports

Sturminster_Newton

Afternoon guys,

Quick question and the usual knotty problem.

What is the best way to keep a baseboard off the floor?

Legs?

Trestles?

Pasting table?

I have looked at all and am now more confused than when I started.

I can't wall mount as the only space I have to use is the landing so I have 5 doorways that need access.

So I need layout on legs. But the legs need to be detachable which indicated that a folding paste table of around 2m would suit.

Speed of striking and setting is probably the most important single factor in any portable layout.

All thoughts considered.

Pasting tables are a bit low and also not very stable unless you pay a fortune.

I use removeable legs which plug into sockets under the boards, depending on weight and so on then 2" x 1" timber works ok for small layouts.

Trestles are OK but often a bit wide and unless you do something clever with short legs between trestle and layout can be somewhat low.

If it will always go in the same place, can you arrange sockets in the wall and plug in legs?

The wall will provide stability and support, the legs then have only to hold the other side up. Makes for fewer, simpler legs!

Atb

Simon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in my replies

To answer a few queries.

The line will be made up of two out of three baseboards.

One scenic, one a train turntable.

The scenic will be either:

900 x 1200

or

900 x 600

the train turntable will be 1200 x nominal 450mm

The idea is to match the scenic with the turntable.

I am muddling in O-gauge, my first attempt indoors since my teens.

The present of a Dapol Class 08 part of a significant birthday. Kick started the desire to have somewhere to run O-gauge.

I have since bought a Heljan Rail-bus.

I have the Dapol VB Sentinel on order.

So I won't want for motive power. :good:

A class 121/122 is the last desired item.

My chosen track is Peco and I'll be using the set-track pointwork as it suits the compact nature of the micro layout.

I'm looking at Baseboard kits to keep the track from falling to the floor, hence the question on baseboard support.

Plus laser cut wooden building kits.

The small size will restrict the overall run and also the number of buildings.

The basic ethos is a inner city yard with a warehouse that once belonged to the Civil Service Stores, backed by a run of railway arches on which the 121 or Heljan will shuttle.

The 900 x 600 board will be a simple halt with a small siding feeding a small goods shed or Coal merchant.

Operation will be a simple shunting puzzle. Working to and from the train turntable into either the yard or the halt board.

Rolling stock will consist of:

three brake-vans as a lococlub rail tour.

three 10' closed vans

three 10' open wagons

Operating height needs to be around 1100mm as I need to clear a radiator.

All thoughts and ideas gratefully received

Hi

I am new to O gauge baseboards too but after considerable thought this is my solution.

My boards are all 1200 x 900 two trestles under one board others 'piggy-back'.

Similar to Danemouth's post.

Dave

post-30875-0-05957700-1547075715_thumb.jpg

post-30875-0-16838500-1547075730_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I found at these after pages and pages of various Trestles  and making LOTS comparisons:

https://www.toolstop.co.uk/stanley-1-92-980-fatmax-aluminium-adjustable-telescopic-saw-horse-twin-pack-p79918

The advantage being the legs on these extend and mean I can use the top step of the stairs if needed.

A bit extravagant, but probably worth the little extra to get the flexibility and they will clear the radiator, just.

Plus they fold into a minimal space.