Piko switch decoder - unsure how to program

Barry Ten

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone offer any guidance on programming a Piko 55030 switch decoder? I've had one in my possession for about a decade without using it, but now that I want to use it, I'm finding the instructions a little opaque. The wiring diagram is clear, but not the programming procedure:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/Piko/55030%20Accessory%20Decoder%20for%20Points%20Signals.pdf

It's capable of switching two solenoids so needs addresses allocated to each (in my case 5 and 6), but I'm unsure how I would be able to program it after it's already installled on the layout. I'll be using a Prodigy system to program/operate it but the instructions seem geared to those using Piko systems exclusively.

I wired up a Prodigy 4-output accessory decoder without any problems (operating turnouts 1 - 4), and while I could obtain a second one of these, I only need an additional two turnouts controlled, so I'd rather use the Piko one if at all possible. I also don't want to inadvertently mess up the programming of the Prodigy unit!

I reply to your question with some hesitation, since I am not familiar with the Gaugemaster Prodigy, but as nobody else has come up with anything I will make some tentative suggestions.  I think that the chances of messing up the Prodigy are remote.  Your wording as to whether the decoder is alreay installed is ambiguous, but it won't make any difference whether it is or not.

The Piko accessory decoder (which is a rebadged Uhlenbrock product), when in programming mode, registers the accessory code message sent to it and stores it in its memory; it then reacts when it next receives an appropriate message.  So what you have to do is to send a point command to it while it is receptive (i.e. in programming mode).  So start by following the Piko instructions:  Press the programme button.  The decoder is set up for progamming by the Märklin Motorola system, so press the button again to change to DCC.  Then send a command for point 5.  Repeat for 6.  You probably know how to do this better than I, but from the instructions it seems to me that you press ACCY, enter, then five, and then either 1 or 2.

I hope that you have success, as it would be a pity in the circumstances to have to buy a further Prodigy decoder, which to my mind is excessively expensive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

TBG: your explanation of how the decoder works makes things a lot clearer to me, for which many thanks. I haven't yet wired it up on the layout since I felt it might be better off programming it off-line and then installing it once I was sure it was working properly.

I'll give things a try over the weekend.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again, as I got it working this evening. I found the Uhlenbrock instructions a bit more helpful as until then I hadn't realised that the "programming button" being mentioned is on the decoder itself, not the main DCC controller.