RMweb

Motor for Nu-Cast LNER F4

Hi

I have a kit built LNER F4 2-4-2T which I built several years ago (from a Nu-Cast kit I think).

It has never run properly and a  friend who has checked it over says the motor is shot.

He's had it a year before finally coming to that conclusion (no criticism of him) so I don't actually have it in front of me now.

I think I put an Airfix 5 pole slimline motor in it.

Anyway, the point is that I now need to replace the motor.  I no longer have the instructions but don't think they had any recommendation as to motor.

Anybody got any ideas/ recommendations on the motor to source and fit?

Two things and this is providing the chassis runs freely is to think about a gearbox plus a decent can motor. The trouble with using old K's and Nucast frames is the space inside the frames, I have just measured a Nucast Radial tank at a tad under 9 mm, a K's 14xx at just over 9 mm. I now go for High Level gearboxes as they seem to work very well without the need for any fettling.  A Slimliner plus will fit and give a wide choice of motor fitting positions, to these you can fit the likes of a Mashima can motor, and if you have space a flywheel

Well worth looking at the website  http://173.254.28.51/~highlev3/chris/gearboxplanner.pdf and Chris the owner is very approachable 

This combination should be far better than the older style motors and gears

Hi Hayfield

Veey grateful  for your speedy response.

Much to my surprise (as this was  the first loco kit that I did  the whole thing for - even the chassis etc) the chassis does run freely!

I just get a 404 error message  when clicking on your link - so wonder if you could recommend a  supplier for the slimline plus gearbox. I think I can get one already fitted with Machima motor?

Sorry about the link

www.highlevelkits.co.uk/

The gearboxes are a simple fold up and a few bits of soldering. Chris can also supply the motors, give him a call

The gearboxes look complicated, but are very simple to make. A bit of soldering and the odd dab of superglue

The great thing about the larger assemblies is they bend to suite the space available, sounds complicated or daunting, in practice very easy. Very little skill level needed to build them

Go to the website

Click on the Gearboxes tab

Click on the Planning tab

You will see 2 images of the slimliners, the top one is the style of gearboxes I prefer as it lifts the motor into the boiler but by moving the 2nd part around the motor's position can be altered

Click on the image and you will go to the gearboxes detail page

You could measure the gap between the frames and perhaps another gearbox will fit