Barham stone terminal sidings (Ipswich) - request for photos and operational information

Southwich

Hi all,

I'm looking to model an adaption of Barham stone terminal sidings near Ipswich in 4mm and I'm looking for some photos of the unloader and sidings trackwork in particular. I would be really appreciative of any photos anyone may have or any general information on how the train is unloaded and exits the sidings.

Thanks in advance,

Will

Hi all,

I'm looking to model an adaption of Barham stone terminal sidings near Ipswich in 4mm and I'm looking for some photos of the unloader and sidings trackwork in particular. I would be really appreciative of any photos anyone may have or any general information on how the train is unloaded and exits the sidings.

Thanks in advance,

Will

Hi Will

I take 6L42/M45 in Barham. Basically the terminal consists of three roads and a headshut

L42 arrives on the Up main on the Eastern having joined at Haughley Junction, we are met by G/staff at the entrance sub signal and draw forward to ipswich until clear of the sub signal.

We propel into either No 1 or No 2 dependant on what the G/staff sets the road for, until clear of 1380 sub and effectively we are shut in the yard and 1380 set for headshunt.

G/Staff splits train in half and we draw into headshunt with 7 until clear of Road 3 (furthest from main line) the discharge road.

Dependant on product but more often than not we start unloading drawing forward from wagon behind loco.

When half emptied we swap halves using headshunt. 

Second half emptied M45 put back together again just clear of 1380 then departure crossing over to the Down main (running bang road to Claydon to run round) 

and finally away back to Peterborough

Personally I haven't got any pics but flickr should be able to help

Don't forget the foot crossing in the headshunt. conveniently cut short by a scaffolding fence protecting crossing !!!

Hi Will

I take 6L42/M45 in Barham. Basically the terminal consists of three roads and a headshut

L42 arrives on the Up main on the Eastern having joined at Haughley Junction, we are met by G/staff at the entrance sub signal and draw forward to ipswich until clear of the sub signal.

We propel into either No 1 or No 2 dependant on what the G/staff sets the road for, until clear of 1380 sub and effectively we are shut in the yard and 1380 set for headshunt.

G/Staff splits train in half and we draw into headshunt with 7 until clear of Road 3 (furthest from main line) the discharge road.

Dependant on product but more often than not we start unloading drawing forward from wagon behind loco.

When half emptied we swap halves using headshunt. 

Second half emptied M45 put back together again just clear of 1380 then departure crossing over to the Down main (running bang road to Claydon to run round) 

and finally away back to Peterborough

Personally I haven't got any pics but flickr should be able to help

Don't forget the foot crossing in the headshunt. conveniently cut short by a scaffolding fence protecting crossing !!!

Thank you very much for the information! I've searched Flickr and got a good idea of the track plan. I'm having trouble finding photos of the unloader so I think I may have to take a trip down to see the sidings in action.

I've used modellers license and changed the plan slightly to improve the operational interest - hopefully should have some progress over the next month or so!

Thanks again,

Will

To be fair the unloading pad is literally that a pad with a hole in the four foot, and a little cabin so the discharge lad can keep dry in the wet.

The product is carried away by conveyor to terminal from underneath, have you tried google earth because that would give a pretty good view from above ??

John