(SOLVED) ZIMO Tail & Cab Lighting Question, Can It Be Done On 6 Pin?

Graham Radish

Just bought this decoder from digitrains should be with me in a couple of days, with a class 70 farish loco and appropriate soundfile.

Got a great deal on the "american ugly duckling class 70" only £84

Now looking at the schematic, it seems the 6pin type i have bought only controls the headlights, how would i go about connecting the tail lights and cablights? ive only ever used the zimo hardwired decoders as i thought it was best to scrap the farish PCB, but this time ive gone for the 6 pin version to save messing about.

here is a diagram,

post-35935-0-27318800-1547488748.png

Cheers.

Edited by Graham Radish

Yes can be done if you're willing to solder wires to the decoder solder pads.

FO1 and FO2 are normal function outputs, so they are the return of a nominally 12-14v from the decoder positive, or from one side of the track pickups of choice (which is how the standard N loco wiring is done). 

FO3 and FO4 (mis-labelled FA3) are logic level outputs, so 5v with respect to the decoder ground pin.  Check the Zimo manual for current limit (its low, around 10mA ), but should be enough for a LED with an adequate current limiting resistor.  Or can be converted to a normal output with the addition of a transistor and resistor.   Using those might need a few CV changes, depending on the default settings. 

So, that's six independent lighting outputs if you want them - independent headlamps, tail lamps, two independent cab lights.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed explanation! i had no idea this decoder had all these functions, this is great news, ill stick to buying these then from now on.

I hear the class 70 has very weird lighting, something about marker and high beam not being correct on farish or Bachmann versions?

But this certainly is a welcome addition just fitting the decoder in with pins, however ive also heard the pins are too long so ill trim them down and tin them to ensure a snug fit.

Most N Gauge diesels whether Farish or Dapol have circuit boards which hardwire the front and rear lights together. In order to do what you want you'll need to bypass the circuit board to get this to work.

Regards,

John P

Most N Gauge diesels whether Farish or Dapol have circuit boards which hardwire the front and rear lights together. In order to do what you want you'll need to bypass the circuit board to get this to work.

Regards,

John P

Ahh ok, is there any mod diagrams for the pcb do you know of?

• RMweb Premium

I find putting a kink in the pins with small snipe nose pliers ensures good contact, and I don’t run the risk of detaching the pin by lingering too long with the iron (!), been there......ahem.

With some badly designed pcb’s you do need to trim them because the pins can contact soldered bits at the rear of the pin socket. This of course doesn’t do the decoder much good at all.... But it is only the odd pcb board and isn’t the norm.

Izzy

I haven't seen any.

Sorry,

John P

Ok no worries should be a simple enough process with a multimeter, as the pcb has all the resistors onboard.

But whats all this i hear about the lighting on the class 70, something to do with the marker lights not being correct or something.

Edited by Graham Radish

Ok fitting cab lights to this train is proving to be a real pain so im not going to bother, however, the roof spotlights (front and rear, independently) could be connected to Fo1 and Fo2 couldnt it? this way i could have control over the overhead lights separately. All the images i see of this train and the spotlight seems to only be on in night time running, the marker and headlamps are fixed to day running, nothing i can do about that, but it doesnt really matter tbh.

These trains are beasts, yea theyre ugly but most american built trains are, but reliability and power, wow, theyre amazing!

Edited by Graham Radish