Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Digitrains Brought A Tear To Me Eye.

Graham Radish

I ordered a farish class 70 a zimo sound chip and soundfile to match yesterday, this morning had an email from Digitrains saying i forgot to buy a speaker, so theyve sent me one out free, damn this really hit home that there are some genuine nice people still left in this world, bless them.

• Like 5

I ordered a farish class 70 a zimo sound chip and soundfile to match yesterday, this morning had an email from Digitrains saying i forgot to buy a speaker, so theyve sent me one out free, damn this really hit home that there are some genuine nice people still left in this world, bless them.

Jeremy at Digitrains is a reliable supplier of all types & makes of Digital, re the Zimo decoders, unlike ESU they do not come with speakers thus the list prices are lower.

Charlie

• Like 1

I really like zimo chips, and love how many cvs they have its a huge list. think my class 70 soundfile though doesnt have the "activedrive" function? so i hear anyway. The class70 is so ugly thats probably why i like it so much lol

Edited by Graham Radish

Jeremy at Digitrains is a reliable supplier of all types & makes of Digital, re the Zimo decoders, unlike ESU they do not come with speakers thus the list prices are lower.

Charlie

That explains why ZIMO decoders appear to be cheaper than other makes.

I didn't realise that a speaker wasn't provided, and that you had to purchase a speaker as well.

When I have studied the overall cost of the sound chip + active drive + speaker, it soon becomes apparent that this certainly Bumps up the price somewhat.

Edited by Perfect Paul

I think they have recently increased the prices of all the 'active drive' sound projects to £15. Only the standard projects are listed as 1p on the Digitrains website now.

Richard

I believe from a friend, that Paul Chetter no longer supplies his projects direct (ie from himself) but has handed over/sold/done a deal with Digitrains for them to be the sole distributor.  Thats what I am told, but I'll stand corrected!!  The £15 projects are Paul's, where as the standard ones are produced by somebody else.

That explains why ZIMO decoders appear to be cheaper than other makes.

I didn't realise that a speaker wasn't provided, and that you had to purchase a speaker as well.

When I have studied the overall cost of the sound chip + active drive + speaker, it soon becomes apparent that this certainly Bumps up the price somewhat.

Swings and roundabouts I guess. I prefer the Zimo decoders, and like it better that there are no speakers included as you can get acquire whatever you want from whomever, without buying a part you don't need!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Farish 70. I’m not too surprised, there aren’t many n gauge locos where you can just stick in a 6-pin decoder and speaker and be away. You generally need to do some modification.

Got the iron on and tools out, im determined to get this to fit without taking out the pcb, i like to keep the integrity of the model as much as possible, theres a switch at the bottom for the tail lights no no problems there. Dont think digitrains knew it wouldnt fit, the one i was going to get was the hard wired version of the decoder and its 2mm shorter in length. 

If you succeed I’d be interested to know!

Ok fella ive sorted it, after much testing i have found a way to fit this decoder to this train without any mechanical modifying, so for anyone out there with this train and this decoder this is how it fits, hope this is helps.

De-solder the factory 6 pin socket, insert from underneath (the decoder fits in upside down) and solder the decoders 6 pins directly to the PCB, this frees up 6mm, as the decoder will never have to come out of the loco anyway, i think this is the best option for reliability.

Route the speaker wire under the pcb and fit the speaker the opposite end.

Everything is in tact, no mods of the chassis needed.

One of the tiny split chassis power screws flew somewhere so be careful, lol, gotta find another screw now from somewhere!

Anyway all done, sounds beautiful.

Now you have a spare 6pin micro male and female socket to make your own cab light power connection (from supplied dc plug)

post-35935-0-72083100-1547679467_thumb.jpg

post-35935-0-68078900-1547679487_thumb.jpg

post-35935-0-99478900-1547679509_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham Radish
  • Like 3

Now if anyone knows how to remove the cabs that would be great, just got to fit the cab lights then all done.

Ok removing the cabs is easy enough, they just lift upwards, continuing on now in fitting the lights, ill be using 0402 warm white leds with a 1k resistor

Actually even better would be a 10k resistor on the common positive, this will reduce the cab lights down to 1.9v and very realistic light levels for a cabin.

Ive just set CV 127 to 1 and CV 128 to 2, and CV 42 to 12, now everythings working epic, directional cab lights that can be switch off and on with F8

post-35935-0-93920300-1547686126_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham Radish

This is hands down the best decoder ive ever used, ive never heard so many random engine sounds before, and the sound quality is top notch!

Ive turned down cv266 overall volume) to 32, as i want to create the illusion of distance on the layout, the 70 will be doing some heavy work randomly fading into and out of the  the tunnel at the back, pulling freightliner wagons. roughly every 20 minutes

In the end i found the perfect speaker for this train rated at 12ohms too which puts less stress on the decoder, i had a broken old sony ericsson k800i mobile phone lying around i used the handsfree speaker out of it, soon as the shell is on it sounds very crisp which is great for flange squeal and brake noises.

Ive made a note of what ive done to the train so in future when i get another 70 will make life easier.

• Like 2

Been fiddling with this train again, i tell you what, i have now got maximum respect for anyone managing to fit cab-lights and sound to these n gauge locos, especially the class 70! this is  far from easy in fact id rate the difficulty 9/10 for this train. The class 37 was easier as the chassis is wider, but the 70 in n gauge damn, the wiring has to be 100% perfect everywhere, even had to take out and re-fit the shell contact board for the headlights to make things fit properly. the 70 is an absolute swine. once eveythings completed electrically going to give the train light weathering, but only very light around the fans and fuel tank, will probably use weathering powders and seal with matt varnish or something havent fully decided yet.

Trying to find some pictures on where to weather it properly.

After further investigation and testing this speaker is the only one that will fit in this train model: while the sony speaker fitted ok it vibrated like hell so its got to go: ABS-237-RC farnell sell them for 3 quid: https://uk.farnell.com/pro-signal/abs-237-rc/speaker-8ohm-88db-0-5w/dp/2534983#

CV 266 should be set to 64 for best results.

Edited by Graham Radish
  • Like 1